Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chazhill
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chaz Hill

Replication and Backup Questions

Post by chazhill »

Hi Guys,

I have setup a DR and Backup site that runs Openfiler for NFS and a backup ESXI host to run our mission critical VM's in case the production hosts fail. I would like to ask a few questions and maybe get some pointers on how to get this setup to work best.

Below is our current setup:

1. Two Esxi hosts using DAS to store VM's.
2. Both Esxi hosts have a Veeam Backup VM running, backups and replication are done over a second network adapter on a separate subnet.
3. Backups are pointed to a NAS on the storage subnet using Virtual Appliance mode.
4. Replication is done to a NFS Datastore mounted on each ESXI host, the NFS datastore is housed on a Openfiler server on our storage subnet.

Questions:

1. I found mounting the NFS store on each ESXI host makes the replication jobs complete faster but if I lose the host where the replication VM is housed
how would I recover the VMS on the Openfiler NFS datastore to the spare ESXI host?
2. What is the best way to protect the Veeam VMs? I have seen that you can backup the SQL Data and then import it in a new installation, would that be
best?

Thanks for your help!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication and Backup Questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chaz,

1. You will need to mount this datastore to spare ESXi host and register replicated VMs in VI inventory through datastore browser.
2. The best way would be to use remote SQL Server and backup this VM with Veeam. Please find more details in this thread.

Thanks!
chazhill
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chaz Hill

Re: Replication and Backup Questions

Post by chazhill »

Thanks for your reply! I never noticed the option to add to the inventory there before, learn something new everyday!