Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
notesguru99
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart J Seed

Replication and vmotion question

Post by notesguru99 »

Hi All,

I'm just starting with my plan for veeam replication. I have 2 sites, each with a vcenter server and each with a copy of veeam. I want site A to replicate from site B and site B to initiate replication from site A - that way if one site was down we would have all the control to fail over at the other site.

Anyway, my query is if I start to replicate from site A and my admin on site A vmotions the servers from LUN1 to LUN2 presumably it will carry on as normal as it is looking for the server via vcenter and not the actual files?
But, what if my admin at site B for example vmotions the replicated vm's? Looking at the setup in the veeam job you have to identify where the replicated vm will reside so will it fail because the files have moved? Do I have to then go into the replication job and point it and map to the new destination?

TIA
Stuart
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Replication and vmotion question

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

If you register both the vCenter servers into Veeam, we will use the vCenter MorefID to identify the VM. since this value is maintained by vcenter itself even during vmotions, we can "follow" any VM as it's moved to another host with no problem.
Also, when you configure the replica job, use the entire cluster as a target and not a single ESXi host.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
notesguru99
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Stuart J Seed

Post by notesguru99 »

Thanks for the reply. I am testing this out today as we are adding more storage in the next few weeks so I wanted to be sure first.

*EDIT* I just vmotion'd a replicated VM and it all worked fine, I started a rep job off in Veeam and it transferred fine - however if I edit the job settings the destination is still the original location of the VM before it was replicated? Is that normal ? Nothing to worry about??

Thanks again.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What is specified as the target for replication job?