Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eliot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eliot Mansfield

Replication fails due to duplicate VM when using folders

Post by eliot »

Scenario:
ESX3.5 4 hosts, 10Mb line to DR with anohter 4 ESX hosts.

I have 3 folders in Virtual Centre named "Veeam Hourly", "Veeam Nightly" and "Veeam Weekends"
I created three replication jobs, each job uses the named vmware folder to select the source VM's and the schedule is set accordindly.

The problem I have, is if a VM is moved from say "nightly" to "hourly" in VC - the hourly replication will fail because the new VM that's been moved into the hourly job already exists as a replica in the Nightly job.

So basicly it seems to daft to realise that the VM has been moved from one job to another. The only way to get it working is to delete the entire nightly job (and replicas) which will include a load of VM's that i dont want to loose and then the new job will re-replicate it. This isn't practicle accross a WAN due to the time it takes to replicate the data

It would appear the only way to solve this, is to create a job for each virtual machine - which is a bit of a pain. And if this is true, it still means I have to delete all my replicas at DR and start again - which over a 10mb line is a pain.
So is there any way to move or detach a replica and reattach it to a new job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Replication fails due to duplicate VM when using folders

Post by Gostev »

Eliot, in the current version we do not have "import replica" functionality for attaching existing replicas to jobs, but we are working on adding this functionality. Thanks!
eliot
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eliot Mansfield

Post by eliot »

Ok thanks - I assume the ability to ship replica's to DR out of band (i.e. via portable disk) will be related to this functionality - which is another feature that would be useful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you are correct.