Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Replication to different VMware host

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

We just built 6 new hosts (VMware 5.5)for our virtual machines. Due to our licensing with VMware, we can't not able to integrate Vmotion into our old hosts with the new host. Can we use replication to move the servers from the old host to the new host?

I tested a while back and it worked in a test lab (boths hosts were 5.5). I remember building a replication job and scheduled it. Then I shutdown the original virtual machine and boot up the newly replicated one. I just remember the virtual machine that was replicated had an extension indicating it was replicated. Is there anything else I should know before I start the process in live production if its doable?

New hosts = 5.5 VMware version
Old hosts = 4.1 VMware version

Thanks,
TT
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: Replication to different VMware host

Post by larry »

Do not add your license until after you vmotion to the new hosts. With no license you can add all the hosts to the new vcenter. When done just remove the old hosts from the new vcenter and add your license and you will be all set. They give you 30 days I think.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As long as both hosts are covered by paid VMware license, you can use replication job in order to migrate VMs. Just be aware to update product installation at lest to V7 R2 first (the one that adds support for 5.5). Thanks.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Thanks guys. The 30 days can be extended if ask really hard.

Quick question regarding replication in my case for a database server. I guess the timing is key here. Lets say I have db1 that I want to move using replication. I build a job for replication to run daily. Then on Friday night, I just shutdown db1 down for a few minutes and let the replication job run for the final time. Once job is done, I boot up db1_replication on the new host?

Thanks again.

TT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. You can do that either using Veeam backup console (select permanent failover option) or start the VM manually and clean up files from the original VM.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, that's correct. You can do that either using Veeam backup console (select permanent failover option) or start the VM manually and clean up files from the original VM.

Thanks. Is 7.0.0.771 version considered R2? So far we been able to backup the machines on VMware 5.5.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Yes, that's correct. You can do that either using Veeam backup console (select permanent failover option) or start the VM manually and clean up files from the original VM.
Vitally,

I am guessing permanent failover option will delete the original VM and boot up the replicated machine in the new host upon completion? Where can I locate the faiover option? I don't see it in the backup job options.

Thanks again.

TT
edfops
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by edfops »

trackstar wrote:I am guessing permanent failover option will delete the original VM and boot up the replicated machine in the new host upon completion? Where can I locate the faiover option? I don't see it in the backup job options.
You will browse to your replicas section, right-click the VM in question and select failover (after running your final replication).

Once you confirm the replica looks good, right-click the replica under the "Active" section and select "Permament Failover".

This would turn off the source VM, which should already be turned off anyways, add it to the exclusions section of your failover job, and remove it as an available failover replica.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

A small correction: the original VM is neither deleted nor turned off, it should be already turned off at the time failover occurs.
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

foggy wrote:A small correction: the original VM is neither deleted nor turned off, it should be already turned off at the time failover occurs.
Thanks for the small correction (its actually a big one). I run through a test. Once you clicked failover now, the replication machine will lid up (original machine on too). The permanent failover removes the machine off the replica job.

So in correct sequence:

1) replication job done
2) shutdown original machine
3) failover now
4) permanent failover
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I would add 2.5) replicate final changes (to avoid any data loss).
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I would add 0) wait for v8 and simply configure planned failover ;)

http://www.veeam.com/blog/v8-feature-an ... ments.html
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Performing these type of procedures on a domain controller shouldn't be any different except add application aware imaging processing to the job? Leave one domain controller running and shutting down the other domain controller to perform the replication.

1) replication job done
2) shutdown original machine
2.5) run final replication :)
3) failover now
4) permanent failover
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, you definitely need to enable AAIP for domain controllers (and actually for any VMs running VSS-aware applications).
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Thanks guys. We will be moving one Exchange 2010 server (part of a DAG) next week.

AAIP will be enabled (same as backup). I will post the result late next week.

TT