Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Replication to DR site + Storage Integration

Post by itfnb »

I have two Veeam B&R servers - one at our Production site and one at our DR site. Both are also added to one another as Backup Proxies. In my previous configuration, the Veeam B&R server at my Production site handled all of the backup, backup copy, and replication jobs. Recently, I decided to have DR site handle all of the replication job so that things like failover could be handled in a smoother fashion.

The Veeam B&R server at the production site has iSCSI access to our HP StoreVirtual SAN. When I was running the replication job(s) from it, it was using the Storage Integration snapshots. However, though all of the Proxy Server settings are the same (Direct SAN at the Production and Network at the DR), it's still using Direct SAN Access on the Production side, but not the Storage Integration. I'd found that Storage Integrated snapshots really helped with reliability and performance because of the runtime of the replication jobs being run at 40Mbps over VPN.

Am I missing something? I'd think that the Proxy Server that has Direct SAN Access should also be able to have Storage Integration. Perhaps that not a feature (yet)? Does my DR Veeam B&R server need Direct SAN access to my production SAN? FWIW, my production SAN is physically separated and only iSCSI-accessible by the production ESXi hosts and the Veeam server at the production site.

Thanks!
-Jim
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication to DR site + Storage Integration

Post by veremin »

Firstly, is storage integration enabled in the settings of replication job? Secondly, is your backup infrastructure configured properly? Thanks.
itfnb
Enthusiast

Post by itfnb »

A. Yes. I even have the Failover option turned off.

B. AFAIK it is.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

itfnb wrote:A. Yes. I even have the Failover option turned off.
If failover to standard backup is disabled and VMs cannot be backed up from storage snapshots, the job will fail to process the corresponding VMs.
itfnb
Enthusiast

Post by itfnb »

But it's not failing...and when watching the HP StoreVirtual CMC, it's not snapping over there. ???
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I recommend contacting technical support for a closer look at your setup.

Btw, do you have the "Cannot find backup proxy capable of retrieving VM data from storage snapshot" warning in the job session? Do you have storage added to the remote Veeam B&R instance?