Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Replucation and backup

Post by jamerson »

Dear all,
i am having two machines that i am worried about their functionality, however i was wondering what is the best solutions to avoid any obstacles in the future,
i just configured a replucation of those two machines ( DC, EX), do i still need to take daily backup or replucation is enought for failover?

thank you
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Re: Replucation and backup

Post by ZachW »

This becomes a simple DR question. What if your production box goes down for whatever reason and you decide to attempt a failover only to find out that there has been a lingering issue with the target storage for the replication that you never knew about? In this case it is always best to have a second copy ( at least ) of the most recent state of that VM. If your storage will allow for it ( which I hope it would ), then it would be recommended to be performing backups of those machines as well in case a true perfect storm disaster occurs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Post by jamerson »

thank you Zachw,
i am trying to use les recorces and space, so i ll use the backups once a week and replications every 2 hr
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

i just configured a replucation of those two machines ( DC, EX)
Additionally, don’t forget to enable Application Aware Image Processing in the settings of replication and backup job, since it’s always recommended to have such an option enabled while backing up/replicating VMs running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint).

Furhermore, it might be worth configurting log truncation option, as well.

More information regarding this feature can be found in the corresponding User Guide (p.37).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Additionally, I would suggest leveraging SureBackup functionality to verify your weekly backup files. This should keep you on a safe side in the DR situation.