Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
romwarrior
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Repository going offline causes copy job chain corruption?

Post by romwarrior »

Case #: 00719777

I had a repository go offline a couple of weeks ago (but not in the middle of any jobs), and after I got it back online one of my backup jobs (for a single VM) had an incremental that was the same size as a full. The corresponding (offsite) copy job also transferred the same amount of data as a full. However other than that things were OK and subsequent backups and copies ran successfully. However now my retention policy for the copy job has caught up with that full size incremental and it fails when trying to merge into a full backup file.

Support has told me my backup copy chain is bad and I need to start all over (which is frustrating enough) but my replication job that uses this copy job as the only source has been succeeding so I am wondering why the replication job can deal with whatever happened to the chain but copy job cannot? I am trying to use copy jobs as my main archival solution but this is the second time in two months that a copy chain has become unusable forcing me to start over, which defeats the whole purpose of GFS.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Repository going offline causes copy job chain corruptio

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Brett.

I am fully on board with you.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but this is what happens when you accept the solution to "start over" from our support. In this case, the actual bug remains not fixed, and it WILL appear again sooner or later. Obviously, it simply does not make sense to start over without the hot fix for the issue created and applied first, otherwise the issue will just repeat itself sooner or later.

Please helps us help you by never accepting such solutions, as nobody wins here. This will force those lower tier support folks to escalate the issue into higher tiers and eventually R&D, so that the issue gets proper attention.

Trust me, our support team is GREAT, but then there is lots of new folks being hired who start on low tiers, they need time to get into "Veeam way" of doing things... please appreciate that most of them are coming from other companies with different values and mentality. And with thousands of support cases weekly, it is simply impossible for us to monitor every single one.

Thanks!
romwarrior
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brett

Post by romwarrior »

I hear you, Anton. I didn't accept the solution. That's why I posted here because I wasn't getting any other options from support. I have not started over. My copy job is still successfully copying restore points and my replication job (from the copy job) succeeds. However the copy job fails to merge the full backup file so there is still a serious issue going on. What should my next step be?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ask your engineer to escalate the case to a higher tier for further investigation.