Request: VVol integration with Nimble Storage awareness

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Request: VVol integration with Nimble Storage awareness

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:33 am

@WimVD you are absolutely correct. Since VVols were released 2 years ago, I have yet to meet anyone who does not think the concept is beautiful. And just like 2 years ago, it is still all about maturity - both for VVols itself, as well as surrounding technologies like VDDK. Tons of limitations and no sign of VMware working on removing any of them (but at least one example of adding new limitation)!

Or look at it at the other angle, would VMware keep investing in VMFS (which resulted in its new major release, VMFS6 in vSphere 6.5) if VVols were ready for prime time any time soon?

My own conspiracy theory is that making VVols too good makes no sense to VMware, as this helps storage vendors to compete with their beloved VSAN. And I can't really blame them for this since I too think VSAN is the future, at least for mid-market down. I am sure they want the whole market, but I am also positive that enterprise part is not going to happen any time soon, so realistically for the next 3 years I place my bets on VMFS6 and VSAN - with VVols remaining "poor relative" and no more than a neat toy for VMware enthusiasts.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2271 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby snowman386 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Not sure I see the real competition with VSAN. VVols really enable SPBM to be used effectively with external arrays. If anything, it offers an easy migration path to VSAN because SPBM can also be used with VSAN. It is much more efficient for us to create a policy in VMware that contains our array performance and snapshot policies and then assign it to a VM or VMDK. Like WimVD said, we no longer need to even touch our array to ensure those policies are adhered to. It is also more space efficient for us as we move things from dev to production. We can simply change the storage policy instead of moving VMs between data stores and having to worry about running an unmap to regain that wasted thin provisioned space back. The only downside it has for us is the inability to mount previous snapshots. Hopefully the array vendors or veeam can come up with a way to deal with this because I assume vvols is only going to be updated with each release of vSphere. Seeing that 6.5 just came out, 7.0 is probably going to be released in 2018!
snowman386
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Snowden

Veeam Logoby coopsam » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 am

We have Nimble storage through out and have been moving over to vvols across our estate, in fact we are already getting close to the limit of 1024 on one of our groups (AF9000/CS5000/CS5000/CS500).

We would like to see the integration sorted out so that Veeam will at least leverage storage snapshots during the backups of vvols. We assumed that vvol integration would be supported given how long its been around now and all the Nimble customers I know are using them, feels like we are stuck in limbo with this as we have 2 choices; 1 We stay on normal data stores and get integration with the benefits that offers, 2 We move to vvols and get all the amazing features from Nimble that offers.

Please can Veeam tell us when we can expect full integration with vvols, to be honest I was amazed that it wasn't there already, so much so we only learned it wasn't when we opened a support ticket.

I am in Berlin next week for Cisco live so will pop by and catch up.
coopsam
Influencer

Full Name: Sam Cooper

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Not in v10 for sure, and we didn't do much planning beyond that yet.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2271 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby pfcbkb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:04 pm

I, too, would like to request support for Veeam VVol integration with Nimble Storage Snapshots. We are currently evaluating Nimble as a possible replacement for our end-of-life SAN, and Veeam integration is a requirement. However, so too is support for VVols. We were initially excited to see both supported, only to discover we couldn't utilize Nimble Snapshots as a repository (like with VMFS volumes). Nor can we use Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots, or Instant Recovery, on VVol volumes.

It's still unclear to me if this is due to Veeam's lack of support, or a limitation of VVols, but since the support ticket I submitted pointed to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/storage_snapshots_restore.html?ver=95 and suggested I submit a feature request, that's what I'm doing.
pfcbkb
Lurker

Full Name: Brian Boyer

Veeam Logoby coopsam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 am

I just don't understand the blocker here, Veeam have done all the hard work already with the 9.5 integration with Nimble, surely to support the vvols element (with Nimbles) its not a big job, excuse my lack of coding knowledge here perhaps it is a bigger job than I understand.

I also note that in Veeam 1, now we have moved VM's to vvols, it doesn't see these as virtual disks just as datastores, this isn't a big issue but has cause a number of people to come to me and ask about where information about their VM's performance has gone. I guess I just see this as proof that Veeam's lack of support for vvols is pervasive across their products presently.

I just feel touch disappointed that while I know what is coming down the line with great products like VAO coming on that non-revenue generating development on features which customers are already using has fallen by the way side, I know talking to other Nimble customers there are quite a few feeling the same. Add to this that another back up vendor has confirmed their support for vvols is coming Q2/3.
coopsam
Influencer

Full Name: Sam Cooper

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication