Resetting vCenter Inventory service DB

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Resetting vCenter Inventory service DB

Veeam Logoby michaelryancook » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Our vCenter inventory service database has grown to over 52 GB. I'd like to reset the database using this article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2042200

It states that if the environment uses VEEAM for backup operations the jobs must be mapped to the virtual machines again. Will this cause Veeam jobs to see the VMs as new and perform full backups?

TIA
michaelryancook
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Re: Resetting vCenter Inventory service DB

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 am

I suspect this process triggers VM ID's change in the database, so VM's will be treated as new ones. Probably you can ask support to map old ID's to the new ones, if the tool they periodically use for that is applicable to this scenario.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby michaelryancook » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks Alexander. I think I will give the vCenter server some more disk for now and when I have some more time I will bug support about remapping.
michaelryancook
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Ok. Though remapping will not be required once you have all the jobs completed the full run after VM ID's change, subsequent job runs will be incremental.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] vCenter inventory service database

Veeam Logoby mpatrick » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 pm

We have two 5.5 vCenter appliances using the embedded database. One is used for our production virtual machines. They are being backed up by Veeam 9.5. The other vCenter is used for DR. Veeam is replicating about 30 VMs onto its two ESXi hosts. The issue is that the inventory service database on the DR vCenter has increased to 30 GB and we are getting close to running out of disk space. The inventory service database on the production vCenter appliance is only 500 MB. Could Veeam replication be causing the inventory service database to increase in size that much?
mpatrick
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Do you also replicate this vCenter Server appliance to the remote site? If not, then maybe the database growth is caused by new VMs (VM replicas) registration by replication jobs?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby mpatrick » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 pm

No we are not replicating the vCenter Server appliance to the remote site. Our Veeam administrator has reviewed and adjusted the replica jobs. We are monitoring to see if this stops or slows the inventory service database growth.
mpatrick
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:12 am

Can you please share how you've adjusted your replica jobs and how it affected the size of the db?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1054 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication