Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Resetting vCenter Inventory service DB

Post by michaelryancook »

Our vCenter inventory service database has grown to over 52 GB. I'd like to reset the database using this article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2042200

It states that if the environment uses VEEAM for backup operations the jobs must be mapped to the virtual machines again. Will this cause Veeam jobs to see the VMs as new and perform full backups?

TIA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Resetting vCenter Inventory service DB

Post by foggy »

I suspect this process triggers VM ID's change in the database, so VM's will be treated as new ones. Probably you can ask support to map old ID's to the new ones, if the tool they periodically use for that is applicable to this scenario.
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Post by michaelryancook »

Thanks Alexander. I think I will give the vCenter server some more disk for now and when I have some more time I will bug support about remapping.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ok. Though remapping will not be required once you have all the jobs completed the full run after VM ID's change, subsequent job runs will be incremental.
mpatrick
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] vCenter inventory service database

Post by mpatrick »

We have two 5.5 vCenter appliances using the embedded database. One is used for our production virtual machines. They are being backed up by Veeam 9.5. The other vCenter is used for DR. Veeam is replicating about 30 VMs onto its two ESXi hosts. The issue is that the inventory service database on the DR vCenter has increased to 30 GB and we are getting close to running out of disk space. The inventory service database on the production vCenter appliance is only 500 MB. Could Veeam replication be causing the inventory service database to increase in size that much?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you also replicate this vCenter Server appliance to the remote site? If not, then maybe the database growth is caused by new VMs (VM replicas) registration by replication jobs?
mpatrick
Novice

Post by mpatrick »

No we are not replicating the vCenter Server appliance to the remote site. Our Veeam administrator has reviewed and adjusted the replica jobs. We are monitoring to see if this stops or slows the inventory service database growth.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please share how you've adjusted your replica jobs and how it affected the size of the db?
mpatrick
Novice

Post by mpatrick »

We turned off the initial seeding mapping to specific replicas. But the inventory service database continued to increase in size. We decided to double the size of the vCenter drive that the db is on instead of resetting the db.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, please monitor the size of the DB and if it starts working abnormally quick, please contact our technical team.