Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

restore a guest-file directly into vmdk

Post by verre »

As I know, VBR can restore a guest-file into a vmdk using vix api without passing through production lan. I have two questions about this process:
- do I have to check "enable guest file indexing" when I take the backup in order to use the restore directly into vmdk?
- does this process require that the vm still powered on during restoring process?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: restore a guest-file directly into vmdk

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Valentino,
verre wrote:do I have to check "enable guest file indexing" when I take the backup in order to use the restore directly into vmdk?
It`s not obligatory; but, it makes file restore easier.
"guest file indexing" helps you to perform fast Google-like search for VM guest OS files across all of your VMs and restore points via the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager web UI, and restore these files with a single click.
verre wrote:does this process require that the vm still powered on during restoring process?
Correct, it has to be on.
Thanks.
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre »

Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether you're already aware - not only restores, but also guest file indexing can work in networkless mode via VIX. You can reverse the sequence of application-aware processing, using InverseVssProtocolOrder (DWORD) registry key. Thanks.