Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dutchuser
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dutch Admin

Restore files living in DFSR share/namespace

Post by dutchuser »

Hi,

I have a question about restoring files living in a DFSR share.

The share is replicated between two 2012R2 servers. Some files are infected by a virus. These infected files have been replicated in the share/namespace.
DFRS itself it working fine, since replication works.

If I use Guest file restore to restore all files from a full backup into the namespace in server 1, will the restored files be replicated to server 2?
I am not sure, since the infected files are newer than the files Veeam will but back in there.

Any idea?

Greets, N
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Restore files living in DFSR share/namespace

Post by PTide »

Hi,

AFAIK DFSR does not recognize file time changes as a file being modified. You should contact Microsoft support team so they can clarify how your setup will behave if you restore files from backup into DFSR folder.

Thanks
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Restore files living in DFSR share/namespace

Post by skrause »

If you delete the files first before doing the restore, the restored files should then be copied to the secondary server via DFSR. As PTide said, timestamps are not part of the hash that DFS uses to compare files.

You probably could force the restored files from Server 1 to overwrite the files on Server 2 by changing the topology type for the replication group in DFS Management but that might cause you other issues.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect