Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sinoptik777
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

restore from on premise to aws ec2 work without internet?

Post by sinoptik777 »

Yesturday I created endpoint to ec2 and endpoint to s3. I started restore from on premise veeam to ec2 and for restore veeam used VPN. I was very happy. But today I disable internet and it is not work. It is look like before sent trasffic to EC2/S3 via VPN veeam makes connections to aws via Internet and after that send traffic via VPN to endpoint.

And this contradicts article KB4264: This restore configuration also works when the Veeam Backup server has restricted or no public internet access.

Has anyone had a successful attempt to set up veeam on premise to restore AWS without access to the Internet (only VPN)?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: restore from on premise to aws ec2 work without internet?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

There are posts on the forums, that KB 4264 works. What did Veeam support say about the issue (support case number)? My guess is, that maybe DNS resolution fails.

Best regards,
Hannes
sinoptik777
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by sinoptik777 »

Hello
And where is the post on the forum in which it is written that the recovery according to the KB works without the Internet at all :)
I found a post on the forum where it was written that restore takes place through a direct connection or private link, but it does not say that the Internet is completely blocked from the veeam on premise.
I repeat, recovery via enpoint (data transfer is via the local VPC ip) works, but it works only if the Internet is not blocked at all.

The DNS records of the endpoints are resolve to the local ip of the VPC, I don't see a problem here.

I'm 99% sure that according to the KB it works via enpdoints but only if internet access not block to aws.

Ok, I will create the case.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's worth proceeding with the support ticket, indeed. In the meantime, I wonder at what step the restore process failed and with what error. I assume you followed all the steps in the KB article and selected a proxy appliance and the modified data center region during the restore. Thanks!