Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rvlsolution
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tommaso Tosi

Restore from Proxy Server - New Feature

Post by rvlsolution »

Hello,

actually the option "pick up proxy server" during a restore is possible only if you are performing a "Full VM Restore".

It could be a good add-on having this feature on the "Guest files" restore.

Best regards,

Tommaso Tosi
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore from Proxy Server - New Feature

Post by foggy »

Hi Tommaso, proxy server is not involved in file-level restores, restores are performed through the mount server directly to the target VM. Or are you referring to a proxy appliance used for Other OS FLR?
rvlsolution
Novice

Post by rvlsolution »

Hello I explain my situation :

we have 2 datacenter :

- DC-A : 2 esxi hosts, vcenter, Veeam B&R Server that backup n VM of the cluster
- DC-B : 1 esxi host managed from the other vcenter, Veeam B&R Proxy that backup the VMs on the server

If I need to perform a "Full VM Restore" for a VM on the host in the DC-B, i can select the option "pickup Proxy Server", but not for the other types of restore. What could I do if I need to restore a 3-4 GB file from the backup of the DC-B? Without the option "pickup Proxy Server" all the job is made by the Veeam B&R server and all the data transfer through the uplink of the 2 datacenter…

Hope everything is clear.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Actual restore traffic should stay local to DC-B, unless mount server role is specifically assigned to the backup server (by default, repository itself is a mount server).
rvlsolution
Novice

Post by rvlsolution »

Understood!

So I can RDP to proxy server in the DC-B, connect with the console to the veeam server and use the option "copy to" to restore the file. Then restore it to the original location.

Anyway, it is possible to setup 2 Veeam B&R server instead of 1 + a proxy? We have a license for 6 sockets, so we could assign a host to the server in DC-B and 2 to the server in the DC-A.

Let me know, and thank you very much!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If your repository is a Windows server located in DC-B, you do not even need to RDP there, since it is most likely acts as mount server (by default) and actual restore traffic will stay local to DC-B.