Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Restore From Replica?

Post by nmace »

Our main datacenter and our office are connected by a 100 megabit WAN. WAN Accelerator is great, and allows us to replicate our mission critical data to the cluster at our office (which is physically distant from the datacenter). I've got a large chunk of data (~70 GB) that occasionally needs copied from the datacenter to the office. I've been doing a failover win Veeam so the replica VM with the data from last night boots up and we are able to extract it across a gigabit connection with the office DR cluster.

But that is a bit of a hassle. Is there a better way? I know there is the option to Restore From Replica, but our Veeam B&R server is at the datacenter and it keeps trying to pull the data back across the WAN. Is there a way I can restore from the replica (that's in the DR cluster) and copy it to a UNC path (that's also at the same DR cluster) without copying it back and forth across the WAN?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Restore From Replica?

Post by alanbolte »

Not as easily in v8 as in v9. In v9, you can specify a mount server for Windows file level restore. In v8, you can use other-OS file level restore, which has some limitations for NTFS, and requires some extra configuration.
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by nmace »

I am on version 9!! Where is that option located?
alanbolte
Veteran

Post by alanbolte »

Hmm, you make a good point. I know how to specify it for a repository, not so for a replica.
alanbolte
Veteran

Post by alanbolte »

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsp ... arios.html

This seems to suggest that if you simply run the remote console application from your office, that will do it. I haven't tried that myself, though.