Restore of Permissions on NTFS volume

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] restoring NTFS permissions to an existing folder

Veeam Logoby lmclean6 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:46 pm

if someone changes a permission on a folder, lets say a root folder, I need to restore permissions to said folder. in typical backup software I can restore just the root folder and the NTSF permissions will be restored with it. In Veeam this does not happen. If the folder already exists no permissions are restored. The only time permissions are restored is when the folder is missing. I have selected to over-write, this does nothing. This brought up the second issue. In typical backup software only the folders and files selected with a check box are restored. I can select a root folder and unselect every subfolder and file. I do not see this option in Veeam. These are critical features we require. Please let us know if there is some way to currently accomplish this, if not please assure us it will be a feature very soon?
lmclean6
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: lyle mclean

Re: restoring NTFS permissions to an existing folder

Veeam Logoby Nono » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am

Hi,

Was about to create a new topic about restoring only missing file inside a folder but yours seems to fit perfectly.

One problem we do have is when we want to restore a folder, if we choose "KEEP", all files are restored, even the files that are already present online in the folder. We don't have any options to restore only the missing files for example. I've been working with lot of different software and all do have this "CRITICAL" feature.

BTW, NTFS permission is also one of the "Critical" feature other software have

IS it plan to development ?
Nono
Lurker

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi,

Mono, Lyle,

I do not recall the feature being requested much, however we will discuss our plans for implementation internally with the team. For now I can suggest to use Get-Acl/Set-Acl workaround.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 336 times

Veeam Logoby lmclean6 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm

The reason you have not seeing any requests for this feature is because there is a level of assumption when one purchases a backup solution to some basic features. The ones I have mentioned are some of those. it is not until we go to use them we find our assumptions to be incorrect. Your solution is some long winded command line huge workaround that really does not fit what I am describing. Simple work around. View the NTFS permissions in the backed up root folder in Explorer view. Recreate them on the damaged root folder. Couldn't be simpler. No need to get involved in interpreting some long winded command line strategy.
lmclean6
Lurker

Full Name: lyle mclean

Veeam Logoby Ruzaila » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

This has been requested in the past numerous times with a lot of support for this request. Please see two links below:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/restore-of-permissions-on-ntfs-volume-t37571.html
veeam-backup-replication-f2/recovering-from-ransomware-t24899.html

It appears to be pushed on the back burner a lot. Would it be a good suggestion to have a pinned post of current existing requests? or maybe a dedicated forum?
Rose Herden
General Manager | Technical Trainer
Saxons Learning Solutions
Ruzaila
Certified Trainer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rose HERDEN

Re: Restore of Permissions on NTFS volume

Veeam Logoby Didi7 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm

+1 for fhe feature to restore only NTFS permissions on selected folders in Veeam Explorer for File Servers.

Nearly 2 years passed but that feature is still missing. This is possible with competitor products since ages :shock:

I like the idea to create some sort of forum just for feature requests or a sticky thread, where feature requests are collected and how many times it has been already requested, so that Veeam and customers know, what features are requested mostly and are likely to be integrated next.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in 9 different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Expert

Liked: 18 times

Veeam Logoby julius.george » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:40 am 1 person likes this post

We too facing the same issue after migration to veeam on the two below feature which were in backupexec

restoring only missing file inside a folder
restore only NTFS permissions on selected folders

Is any update from veeam on this ? R they incorporating this in any of future releases :(
julius.george
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Julius George

Veeam Logoby rbradley » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 am

I second this request, I work for a MSP and we work by the book and keep UAC enabled.
Quite often new engineers go direct to a server and access share files direct which then applies the individual user SID.
Additionally many consulting clients with there own IT departments report share folder permissions being changed and asking for a restore option for just permissions.
When this occurs there is currently no resolution for other than restore the files as well, which if this occurs during business hours we cannot do as the files are being updated.
This is also a feature of other backup products hence could Veeam add this?
rbradley
Novice

Full Name: Richard Bradley

Veeam Logoby gm2783 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:55 am

I asked Gostev for this Feature @ Veeam on Tour in Zurich.
I hope it will be integrated in the future releases.

Regards
Giuseppe
gm2783
Novice

Full Name: Giuseppe Marchese

Veeam Logoby rsomby » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am

Hi. Anyone know if this feature request got materialized? Im in a situation today where i could use this functionality instead of doing a 17hour file level restore on a folder :roll:
rsomby
Lurker

Full Name: Ronny Somby

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi Ronny, if you're referring to the capability of restoring just permissions, then this feature was not included in our latest 3a update.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1259 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby F182 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:42 am 1 person likes this post

Mount the backup and use robocopy with the correct switches.
F182
Service Provider

Full Name: Farzon David Almaneih

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication