Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zarionix76
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Restore of Permissions on NTFS volume

Post by Zarionix76 »

+1 also here ,saved me in some situations in the past with previous recovery software.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

+1 also here ,saved me in some situations in the past with previous recovery software.
Noted.

Would you describe a couple of the most horrific/interesting situations that the feature helped you with?

Thanks!
LBegnaud
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by LBegnaud » 1 person likes this post

I would think instant recovery with the proper robocopy switches ( https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comme ... ions_only/ ) would do just fine. Seems like such a niche request, really. How can you be sure that it's only the ACLs that were affected by whatever you're trying to revert?
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

+1. I haven't been in this situation yet, but after reading through these posts, I'm a little uneasy :)
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Has restore of NTFS permissions only been implemented in B&R 9.5 Update 4?

PJ
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Per, no this is not a part of this release.
Coldfirex
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Alan Shearer

Post by Coldfirex »

Hopefully it will be in future release! It would be VERY helpful when someone screws up the share\security permissions on a large folder structure and you want to revert the changes.
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Indeed. That very thing happened here a couple of years ago. A colleague, who probably wants to remain anonymous, made a mistake... Fortunately we backed that file server with IBM TSM back then, so it was possible for us to restore only the NTFS permissions. ;-)
ayates
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Anthony Yates

Post by ayates » 1 person likes this post

We've just had similar issue and came here to look to see if possible with Veeam.
What we did instead was to run through the process to restore file so that it mounted the restore point but don't actually restore anything, just leave the Veeam Explorer window open . You can then access the mount point files via C:\VeeamFLR\ without actually running a restore.
Then from the file server I ran a robocopy job using the COPY:S /SECFIX switches and selecting the desired folder under VeeamFLR to the matching folder on the file server to restore just the security and not restore the files.
It can be a slow process if you have lots of files but quicker than anything else I could think of.

It also reminded me to do something I was meant to do ages ago and that was to take regular backups of security permissions so I can easily restore when needed!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I can confirm robocopy /SECFIX is the common workaround to restore permissions only. Thanks for sharing!
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Post by mrholm »

Hi
+1 for restore of NTFS permissions only, not to uncommon when you have a large organization and have a Service Desk handle permissions on shares and folders, sometimes it gets wrong when changing/applying permissions

//Mats
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

[MERGED] NFR to Restore File Permissions to a Folder

Post by kubimike »

Had someone in our dept make a massive mistake and blew the perms on a folder that has millions of files. I did use icacls by opening the restore point and using it on the VEEAMFLR folder. HUGE hassle however. Veeam needs the ability to restore file permissions ONLY! I've googled, and Ive seen this request has gone back a few years now (2016). Whats the status? Is this in Veeam 11 ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I've moved your post into the existing topic. No, this feature is not included in the version 11. We keep this idea in mind but still have no ETA.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This hasn't been a priority since robocopy /SECFIX does the job just fine.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec » 1 person likes this post

I found this thread after another administrator accidentally removed Administrators and System from the user folders. So, manual repair would be super-painful. I too have seen this option in another backup software and hoped Veeam would have something similar. I was surprised that "robocopy /SECFIX" is the unofficial official solution and yet there is no actual sample of how to use it. So, here is one. May the next person that finds this thread not have to hunt around to figure out how to use robocopy /SECFIX.

Code: Select all

robocopy "C:\VeeamFLR\<Mount Point>\<Path to Folder>" "<Path to Folder>" /SEC /SECFIX /S
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Meanwhile, we did add this feature to V12.