Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see drive

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see drive

Veeam Logoby bulletlynn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:24 pm 1 person likes this post

We have a Server 2016 Veeam 9.5 U2 server with ReFS x64 backup repository and we are backing up a Server 2016 file server with a ReFS D: drive.

When we do a restore whether it be a Guest File or a Instant VM recovery it does not see the D: drive. It sees the C: drive which is NTFS no problem.

Now what is interesting is if we create a new backup job or do a VeeamZip we are able to restore from the Full backup but once we do an incremental backup we are unable to see the D: drive again. During an incremental backup job it sees and backs up data on that D: drive.

Not sure if anyone has started moving any of their production servers to ReFS drives yet but this has me a bit concerned. I will probably be migrating the customers data back to a NTFS drive this weekend.

Veeam has escalated the ticket. Case number: 02314772
bulletlynn
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Re: Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see d

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi Nick, the behavior indeed seems odd, I can see that your case has been escalated and is being thoroughly investigated, so let's see what our engineers could find. Thanks for sharing with the community anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore of Server 2016 with ReFS drive - unable to see d

Veeam Logoby bulletlynn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:51 pm

After working with support we found if we disable CBT in Veeam we are able to see the ReFS D: drive on a restore.

In VMware we reset CBT on the VM and then enabled CBT in Veeam but the issue comes up again after running a full and then an incremental.

Still investigating.
bulletlynn
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Nick Lynn

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication