Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Koobal
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Colin Szajkowski

Restore Performances: Direct SAN vs Network

Post by Koobal »

Hello,
I'd like to know if someone have already benchmark performances and compare them for restore beetween direct SAN and Network restore ?
For being more precise, we have just install Veeam to one of our customer.
Datastores are hosted on NetApp Fas 8020, connected in 10Gb iSCSI. Backup are configured for Direct SAN Backup and work well.
The fact is that for storage reason, VMDK in thick must pass in thin, so we will loose the Direct SAN restore.
But our client is questionning us about the perf differences beetween the 2 methods. I know that network restore will be slower than Direct SAN, obviously, but I can't tell in number what will be the lost...(10%, 20& ?)
If someone have some answers about that, it would be very helpfull.
Thanks,
Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore Performances: Direct SAN vs Network

Post by foggy »

Mostly depends on the particular environment, so you can perform some tests with a smaller VM. On 10GB network it might be as fast as direct SAN.
Koobal
Service Provider

Post by Koobal »

Hi Foggy,
Thanks for the reply.
The fact is the storage is connected through 10gb, but Repositories are SAN Volume connected through SAS cables to proxies on another NetApp.
I m wondering if Network restore will pass through the LAN management, connexion on 1Gb ethernet, or through the LAN storage, connexion on iSCSI 10Gb ?
Sorry if it's a stupid question...

Thanks,
Regards
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

Network restore mode uses the ESX host network. What kind of network connections outside of the iSCSI do your ESXi hosts have?

To get the use of the 10GB iSCSI you might want to look into Hot-add instead of Network for restores. The network bottleneck in that situation would be the virtual proxy's NIC and the proxy would use the iSCSI as its path to write to the LUN.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
Koobal
Service Provider

Post by Koobal »

Hello Skrause,
Ok that's what I thinking, so restore in NEtwork Mode uses the ESX Host management network.
Our ESXi have 1 gb connection for VM LANs and management network, and 10 Gb for iSCSI storage LAN.
As our proxies have NICs in 10 GB storage iSCSI LANs,for direct SAN access , Is there a possibility to force veeam proxy to use these NICs to restore in Network mode ?
We can't use Direct SAN access mode for restore cause the VM's disks are in Thin provisionning.
Thanks again
Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Koobal wrote:As our proxies have NICs in 10 GB storage iSCSI LANs,for direct SAN access , Is there a possibility to force veeam proxy to use these NICs to restore in Network mode ?
Restore via network mode always goes through ESXi management interface, can't change that.