Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CTCarp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

restore point retention

Post by CTCarp »

I have several servers that have large amount of restore points - for example: Exchange has 18 my Secondary DC has 21 etc... When I set up backup to run I have the retention policy set to 7 restore points I also have incremental backup with periodic fulls and transform full backup to chains into rollbacks. I archive to tape to an offsite vault once per week. My problem is I am starting to lose disk space and backups are beginning to fail. Should I delete the backup jobs that have many restore points to regain space and start from scratch again?
Also I upgraded to v7.0 patch3

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: restore point retention

Post by foggy »

Basically, it is not recommended to delete backup files manually but rather let retention algorithm to handle that. Depending on your retention and scheduling settings you can have different number of restore points with forward incremental backup mode. However, if you need to free up some space to let backups complete successfully, you can delete some of the older backups manually and then lower retention settings for your jobs (however keep in mind that corresponding records will still be displayed in the Veeam B&R console, until wiped out according to retention).
ksauer
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ken Sauer

Re: restore point retention

Post by ksauer »

If you are in dire need of freeing up space, you can remove the current chain from the configuration ('Remove from backups' from Backups|Disk) and offload these to another storage device. This will allow you to adjust your current retention policy for the space you have available and start a new chain.

If you need help with this operation, you can contact support. Also if you need more information on the backup methods, please review the following:

http://www.veeam.com/kb1799
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... thods.html