Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

restore point simulator help

Post by tekno »

Hello
im struggling a bit with restore point simulator.
I would like to simulate the current scheme
first month backups on daily basis incremental with sunday sythetic full ( so bascically 6x incremental and 1 weekly full)
then as well another 8 weekly backups (3 months back, eg first month in the line before + another 8 weekly full for months 2 and 3)
and 11 monthly backups 1 year back.

any idea how to have this in restore point simulator ? or im in wrong forum ? :)

thank you in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: restore point simulator help

Post by veremin »

May it's just me but it's not clear how many jobs do you have (single backup one or backup and backup copy ones) and what retention do those (this) jobs have? Thanks.
tekno
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Peter Vilagi

Post by tekno »

i need more to see the size, so i can plan backup capacity.. i probably will have main job for the first month and anything else via backup copy.. or i make 2 jobs and just the monthly will be done via backup copy.. currently all depends on capacity i need to calculate and what will be better.. cause on primary server i will nto have so much storage available if there will be 20 machines with 1 year backup .. thats why i wanted to have an aproxx number of backup size per machine so i can maybe create more scale out repositories or make copy of some long term backups to another DR site in case of :)
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

You are right that for the GFS part, you need to have at least 2 jobs (primary and backup copy job). Know that the backup copy job runs "in sync" with the primary job. I mean that if you configure a primary job to have 14 points, the backup copy job is not keeping data syncing points older than -14 points, but rather, every day (considering a daily interval), it will sync the latest restore point. So in that sense, you could have a primary job even in forever incremental mode with 14 points (or a forward incremental with weekly synthetics if you want that with 6 weeks retention with synthetics), and than have the backup copy job configured with a simple retention of 7 points, 3 months * 5 weeks (there is 4,5 weeks in a month, most of the times ;)) so 15 weeklies and than 11 monthlies and 1 yearly. You can also configure 12 monthlies as one of the monthlies should collide with the yearly backup and thus one backup will just be flagged with being yearly and monthly.

To visualize the "insync" part (sorry for my bad graph skills) :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... insync.png