Restore points - free up space on disk

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Restore points - free up space on disk

Veeam Logoby DadoTC » Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 am

Hi,
I'm trying to understand how restore point retention policy works and how to cleanup space on disk.
I created a backup job with a single VM inside, configured it to do forward incremental backup with synthetic full on one day (today).
I run the job and it created the full backup (.vbk)
I run the job twice and it created 2 .vib files (incremental)... ok

I set the retention policy to 1 single restore point, I run the job, was expecting to see on disk jus the last .vib file... I see 3 .vib instead, why ? what happened ? why it is not cleaning out the old restore points ?

I notice also that it is not doing the synthetic full backup, why ? because I'm testing everything the same day ? because it see that today I already have the full backup in place?

To go to the point... how can I now clean up the disk so I have just one full backup and one incremental backup ?

thanks
DadoTC
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Dado

Re: Restore points - free up space on disk

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 am 1 person likes this post

Hi Dado and welcome to the community!

DadoTC wrote:as expecting to see on disk jus the last .vib file... I see 3 .vib instead, why ?

Incremental files .vib contain only changes of VMs images and can't be used for restore without the rest data from the full backup file .vbk and all earlier .vibs.
Veeam B&R cannot delete previous files because .vib itself would be unusable, so when the next full .vbk will be created according to your settings, the old backup chain will be erased by the retention rule.
Please, review existing thread about backup chains in details.

DadoTC wrote:because it see that today I already have the full backup in place?

That's correct.

DadoTC wrote:To go to the point... how can I now clean up the disk so I have just one full backup and one incremental backup ?

You can use Forever Forward Incremental backup method and set up retention to keep 2 restore points.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication