mogan2055847
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mogansundram Apna

Restore to Azure Max OS disk size limit

Post by mogan2055847 »

Hey Guys,

Quick question:
We're testing restore to Azure from Hyper-V and Veeam Agent backup.
We've a Windows physical server 2016, the OS disk is 8TB, according to Microsoft Azure, the OS disk on Azure VM max size is 4,095GB (correct me if I'm wrong), will the restore to Azure failed in this case? If yes, any workaround?

Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore to Azure Max OS disk size limit

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Azure limits apply for everyone - that includes Veeam :-) Going beyond the limit results in a failure, yes.

I understand this document that 32 / 64TB are possible.

Best regards,
Hannes
mogan2055847
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mogansundram Apna

Post by mogan2055847 »

Thank you Hannes :)

That's true 32 / 64TB are possible for data disk, however, for OS disk, maximum capacity is 4TB for v2 Azure VM, V1 is 2TB.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... s-overview

OS disk:
Every virtual machine has one attached operating system disk. That OS disk has a pre-installed OS, which was selected when the VM was created. This disk contains the boot volume.
This disk has a maximum capacity of 4,095 GiB.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You are correct, this platform limitation is still in place, we can probably mention it in our documentation as well, so thank for raising this - we will corresponding team and update the user guide.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 61 times

Post by Didi7 »

Ok, just for my understanding. Azure VMs disk sizes 32 and 64TB are supported within Veeam Backup for Azure for backup and restore?

Thank you.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
from the user guide
user guide wrote:[Managed VM disks] Veeam Backup & Replication supports restoring of disks equal to or less than 32765 GB.
Best regards,
Hannes
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Oh, didn't expect this info in the user guide, which I normally look first in. Sorry and thank you.

Ok, it's part of the Veeam Backup&Replication user guide, instead of Veeam Backup for Azure user guide and it's only mentioned in the restore part.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Veeam Backup for Azure is different product, it's cloud-based appliance developed for protection and disaster recovery of Azure workloads, while you are talking about Veeam Backup & Replication and its feature Direct Restore to Azure that allows restoring any workloads (vSphere VM, Hyper-VM, physical machine, etc.) to Azure in the form of VM.

Since it's the feature of Veeam Backup & Replication, it is covered in the corresponding User Guide.

Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

@veremin

Ok, you are totally right, but where can I find info about support of disk size in Veeam Backup for Azure?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In Microsoft Azure documentation, meaning whatever platform supports for virtual disk size can be backed up and restored by Veeam Backup for Azure product. But I'm not sure whether this information is relevant here, cause you're clearly using Veeam Backup & Replication and its Direct Restore to Azure feature (platform limitations for which have been discussed already). Thanks!