Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cghost98
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Farmer

Restore to Standalone vCentre

Post by cghost98 »

Hi All,

Firstly, I'm a VEEAM Noob - be gentle! I have very limited experience in VEEAM so I'm just trying to settle a little bet internally and gain some knowledge along the way.

Scenario:
We have two datacentres that are connected via an MPLS network (routed network), each running their own ESXi hosts with their own vCentres and their own SANs.

We're decommissioning the datacentre where the virtual machines run at the moment and we need to migrate the virtual machines into the new datacentre but the vCentres won't be in linked mode at all - everything standalone from each other, including subnet.

Is it possible to migrate virtual machines, in any capacity, from one datacentre to another in this scenario? We're OK if we need turn off machines to migrate them.
We will most likely have VEEAM backup server at each location. I saw example 4 "Scaling for Production and DR Sites" in the best practice guide which looks like an option?

Thoughts?

Cheers!

-PF
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Re: Restore to Standalone vCentre

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forums. Sure, you can simple add both vCenter servers and either do backup+restore, or perform replication+failover+permanent failover, or just use the Quick Migration functionality (which is actually designed specifically for your scenario). Thanks!
cghost98
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Farmer

Re: Restore to Standalone vCentre

Post by cghost98 »

Brilliant. Thanks Gostev.

So looks like I win the bet!

Cheers!