Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Restored vCenter

Post by homerjnick »

Case ID : 00170317

We have Veeam B&R on Server 2008 R2 64 bit physical Blade on 6.5.0.128.
3 ESXI5.0 hosts and vCenter 5.0.

We needed to trial vCenter 5.1 with lots of third party systems and we could not simulate this in a test environment so we backed up our vCenter with Veeam, upgraded vCenter to 5.1 and tested the third party systems that connect to the vCenter.

The testing finished and we restored our vCenter from Veeam (restoring to a new location just in case).

The vCenter booted ok, everything came up fine, all third party systems ok and Veeam happy as backup and replica jobs ran fine.

The only issue we have is the vCenter in the Backup Infrastrucure in Veeam. If we rescan it to run Storage Discovery it failed to find disks and volumes on the vCenter and then reports the error "Session Failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created"

The error is techincally true as the vCenter was restored to a new location.

Cannot remove the vCenter and re-add it in Backup Infrastructure as every backup & replica job relies on the vCenter.

Is there a quick and easy fix? If I add more storage to the ESXi hosts I presume Veeam won't see them now if it cannot do Storage Discovery?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restored vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nick,

Just to make sure I fully understand your scenario - you have upgraded your vCenter Server to verify everything works correct and then downgraded it back? Can you please tell me why you didn't continue using the upgraded vCenter Server since everything was fine?
homerjnick wrote:The only issue we have is the vCenter in the Backup Infrastrucure in Veeam. If we rescan it to run Storage Discovery it failed to find disks and volumes on the vCenter and then reports the error "Session Failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created"
Possible fix of this issue would be to remove duplicated records from the Veeam configuration database via some sort of SQL script, I guess our support team can help you with that. Btw, how many backup and replication jobs do you have created? Maybe it would be quicker to re-create your backup and replication jobs, maps to existing VMs, backups and continue running incremental jobs runs?
homerjnick wrote:If I add more storage to the ESXi hosts I presume Veeam won't see them now if it cannot do Storage Discovery?
Yes, most likely you will have the same error message as you've mentioned above.
homerjnick wrote:we could not simulate this in a test environment so we backed up our vCenter with Veeam
Just for future readers of this thread - it's highly recommended to use On-Demand Sandbox in such scenarios.

Thanks!
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

Yes we "downgraded" or restored our vCenter....testing went fine but one third party system did not work with 5.1 thus we had to revert back to 5.0.

We have about 30-40 jobs so would prefer not to recreate those...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh, got it, then it makes sense to wait for our support team, as most likely configuration database adjustment is required.