Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ripthorn
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nigel Guy

Restoring a single file

Post by Ripthorn »

So, my head hurts, but I've managed to install the Veeam Backup & Replication Console Community Edition on to my Single 2019 Windows Server and run a backup of the server to my NAS.

Now I want to restore a single file, just to test the backup worked but (like so many other things with veeam) they don't make it easy. How do I restore a single file? I can only seem to see restore options for the full machine etc...

Thanks for reading my noobie question.

Nij
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Restoring a single file

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nigel.

What kind of backup you took? Was it a VM level agentless backup, or agent-based backup of server itself? I have a feeling you took way too complex path to backup a single machine...
Anyhow, all backups are under Home view -> Backups -> Disk -> where you can right click your backup and select "Restore guest files..." dialog, or hit Restore in the ribbon in the same view and follow its guide.

/Cheers!
Ripthorn
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nigel Guy

Post by Ripthorn » 1 person likes this post

haha yes! I mentioned on another forum that I just used windows default backup and everyone started to suck air through their teeth and a few suggested Veeam....

I've found the backup now, thank you, I was scared on the 'guest files restore' as it wasn't giving me any options to select files but after reading your reply and then reading the dialogue boxes again, I saw it say clicking finish will open up backup browser to select files so I got brave and clicked it. Thank you.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

You are not the first who was confused by that "Finish" text - we will have it tuned in next version to be more safe to click on :)
Glad it worked out at the end!
/Cheers!