Restoring Multiple Domain Controllers

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Restoring Multiple Domain Controllers

Veeam Logoby peeky1323 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a strange issue here. We have 3 domain controllers (2x2012 R2 and 1 2008 R2). I am trying to restore them into a test setup and I have restored one and followed the guide here:

https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-recov ... ction.html

for performing an authoritative restore. I then restored the other 2. My AD is broken and cannot start AD users and computers, sites and services etc, replication will not work, and can't login to any member servers I have restored into this test setup. After much troubleshooting I tracked down the regitry key sysvolready was set to 0 on all servers. After changing this to 1 things are improving and cna now login and start the AD tools (I haven't looked beyond this yet to see if there are still issues). Is there a set procedure for restoring multiple DCs? Do you perform the authoritative restore steps on one that holds a certain role or anyone?

Many thank,

Matt
Matt Peek
VMCE V9
peeky1323
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt Peek

Re: Restoring Multiple Domain Controllers

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Matt, please review this KB describing all the nuances of domain controller recovery, including your scenario. Just to confirm, you have application-aware image processing enabled on the corresponding backup job, right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication