Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pidthepiper
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

restoring SQL VM using v8 B&R

Post by pidthepiper »

Hi guys,

So This backup runs as application aware. I have restored it to a test environment and I noticed when I logged into SQL Management Studio the database was marked as (suspect).

Why would this happen if it is application aware? Inside SQL there is a weekly backup that runs and I restored from that and all is well.

But isn't the idea behind application aware backups that it does this all for you? Have I missed something?

It is the SQL server that hosts the vCenter database and the Veeam database, and both these databases were marked as suspect. Obviously restoring to a test environment I am not bothered about the Veeam database.

The main reason I did the restore, is to confirm the restore works well, now I know of this issue I am curious as to what the cause is.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: restoring SQL VM using v8 B&R

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Were there any warnings and/or errors in session logs? If none then please open a case with support and post your case ID here.

Thank you.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Post by pidthepiper »

session logs in veeam?

I just restored it again and it booted into the windows recovery menu thing, like it was crash consistent but on booting up sql management studio the databases look fine.

If using application aware will the VM still boot up into the windows recovery menu thing on first bootup after the restore?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd try to restore from the same restore point again and from other restore points as well, to see whether it is reproduced and what is affected.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Post by pidthepiper »

Ok so it shouldn't boot into the windows recovery screen on first boot? just to confirm
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For the guest OS that's expected, please take a look at this post > Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory-JetError-1

As to your original question, normally if you do backup of the DB via native tools, AAIP is not required, however I would check Windows Event log at the time when backup job runs, maybe there are some error events.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Post by pidthepiper »

Ah ok so dirty shutdown is normal, fair play. AQm I looking at the windows event log in veeam or on the actual sql server vm?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actual SQL Server, try to search for any VSS related error messages in the application log.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Post by pidthepiper » 1 person likes this post

The original restore i did over a week ago and only powered it on today, I had a look and didn't find anything, but restored from other more recent points with no issues, at all. Either way its all good, thank you for your assistance