Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jacobpalm
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jacob Palm

Re: Restoring stuff through guest interaction proxy

Post by jacobpalm » 2 people like this post

I'll second that - ran into the issue this week, and had a lot of trouble restoring for a customers whose SQL was down. Restore took much, much longer than expected, because we had to restore to a temporary location and copy files.
weem
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by weem » 2 people like this post

Same here, it's a fundamental thing. We backup through a guest interaction proxy (windows servercore), we cannot install b&r Console there. Same if a linux proxy would be used.
Ctek
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times

Post by Ctek » 2 people like this post

Same here, we hit a wall when designing a secure private cloud tenant for restoring using the proxy...
VMCE
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

I also see it as necessary to being able to restore via the guest interaction proxy.
If you open the ports for the backup server, then there's not need to use the guest interaction proxy at all.
And for a secure environment or for service providers, the alternatives (VBR Console, VIX) aren't that good.
mkh
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Michael Høyer

Post by mkh » 1 person likes this post

+1 for being able to utilize the guest interaction proxy for restores

VIX is slow,

installing VBR console on the guest interaction proxy is not compatible with the security requirements, oh yeah, it's a server core, so not even possible.
Steve-nIP
Service Provider
Liked: 52 times
Full Name: Steve

Post by Steve-nIP »

Any update on this important request?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No update atm, still on the table but with no particular ETA.
jacobpalm
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Jacob Palm

Post by jacobpalm »

Any news regarding ETA for this feature? I'm implementing a major customer in our hosting environment, who has a lot of different networks, and the lack of restore through the guest interaction proxy is causing me and my team a lot of headaches when trying to implement the level of security required by the customer. For me as a service provider, this is one of the absolutely most wanted functions in VBR.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your vote has been counted, but currently we do not have any update regarding when this feature will be released. Thanks!
Matthewh
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Humphreys

[MERGED] Veeam guest interaction backups and restores

Post by Matthewh »

So you can take a backup of a remote customer machine using a guest interaction proxy to manage the connection, one network in your veeam server range and one in the customers VMs network range but you cant do a restore using a proxy to reverse the flow.

so in order to do application aware granular restores you need to either have the veeam backup server inside their network because of course the veeam backup server is the initiation point for all backups, not possible to have a proxy to manage a restore.

or you need another SQL or other application licence in order to restore to a file, it also doesnt accept a SQL cluster as a valid helper server so increasing costs and complexity and difficulty to operate as a service provider.

I mean I like veeam its very good but as a service provider backup system it is severely lacking in many features and has a number of design limitations that mean it has so many caveats and exclusions things that you just cant do that really makes it hard to use.

When are we going to be able to do restores via proxies so that we dont need a whole other set of infrastructure in place?

Also when are you going to allow agent based windows cluster backups to not require the veeam backup server to have access to the customers active directory server, cant we proxy that via the agent installed on the customers VM to query the active directory via that route rather than needing everything to have direct access to everything else?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Matthew

I moved your request to this topic to keep similar requests together.
We are aware of this request but cannot provide any new information about it.
Also when are you going to allow agent based windows cluster backups to not require the veeam backup server to have access to the customers active directory server, cant we proxy that via the agent installed on the customers VM to query the active directory via that route rather than needing everything to have direct access to everything else?
Please use for requests not related to the first request additional topics. Makes it easier to keep similar requests together. And it looks like you are already discussing this with Hannes in another topic: Failover Cluster Question - Agent Based Backup query customer domains

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Matthewh
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Humphreys

Post by Matthewh »

Hi Fabian,

Yes I have raised this issue multiple times via various methods and it either gets left as per my other discussion post with no feedback or follow-up or I get a response of "we don't have a response at this time"

I understand that perhaps it's a niche use case or a difficult request but having some ongoing updates or acknowledgement that you are working on it and trying to get something working or that it's never going to be a feature of veeam would be very helpful.

If it isn't going to be possible to do then for the good of our business we need to explore alternatives as I am sure you can understand.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello Matthew,
gets left as per my other discussion post with no feedback or follow-up
If this sentence is about this request, then I agreed with you. Answering again "will not happen in the next version", made no sense to me. If it helps: that request will not be implemented in foreseeable future.

We get hundreds of feature requests via the forums each year. If it's a "hot" request, then it will come up again and again and at some point we answer "it's in the next version". For all other requests, the customer needs to read the "what's new" document for each new version. We don't search through thousands of posts which ones might have a feature request in it to then answer "it's in version XYZ"

Best regards,
Hannes