Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gblyshchyk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryhor

Restoring "VM Files Restore" to a network share

Post by gblyshchyk »

Since there is not enough space on the backup storage server to extract all the files of the virtual machine (.vmdk), it was decided to restore these files to a network drive. What was my surprise when it turned out that this can not be done! In "Destanation" you can specify only the server (as I understand it, on which the veeam agent is installed - windows 2008 and higher, as well as ESXi hosts). The "Select Folders" window does not see network mapped drives. I added the computer on which the network share is open to "Backup Repositories" with the hope that it will appear in the "Destination" but this did not happen! Just don’t tell to use Extract utility, it restores only from full backup, and I have an incremental archive. NetUseShareAccess = 1
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restoring "VM Files Restore" to a network share

Post by Dima P. »

Hello gblyshchyk,

Start file level recovery and open backup browser select copy to option and instead of choosing the path to a local folder type in the UNC path to the desired file share. Hope this helps, cheers!
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

Dmitry, in the subject I wrote that I need to restore exactly .vmdk and FLR is absolutely not suitable here. What surprises me is the other - that in such a wonderful product there is no such important and necessary opportunity how to save virtual machine files to a network drive (ftp, webdav, etc.), and setting up a backup to a network drive is possible, this is nonsense.

I also want to add that the recommended method of "copying" involves copying each directory, and not the entire disk at once - imagine for a minute that there are a thousand directories and each must be copied.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the clarification, for a moment I thought that you were referring to the guest files and not VM files.

In case of restoring virtual machine files it should be possible to type in the UNC under the Browse dialog UI. Can you please check if that works for you?

gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

I entered the path manually. But when I tried to restore, I got the error "Error Access to file is denied. Failed to create directory '\\win-jek912ph432\testrepo' Access is denied." Access to the folder is allowed for everyone to write, if you go to this computer via the network, you can get into the directory and write data. I tried adding credentials to the credential store "Veeam B&R" but it still doesn't work.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ryhor,

Can you please confirm that the selected server (above the path text box on the screenshot) has access to the mentioned file share? Try to open the share via regular Windows explorer from this server to be sure. Cheers!
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

gblyshchyk wrote: Sep 18, 2019 6:50 am I entered the path manually. But when I tried to restore, I got the error "Error Access to file is denied. Failed to create directory '\\win-jek912ph432\testrepo' Access is denied." Access to the folder is allowed for everyone to write, if you go to this computer via the network, you can get into the directory and write data. I tried adding credentials to the credential store "Veeam B&R" but it still doesn't work.
I also gave full rights to "ntfs" to the guest. It does not help
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ryhor, please contact technical support for a closer look. Thanks!
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

Good answer (no). For the entire time that we had licensed technical support, we only used it once, and now when it has ended and we need help in your faulty product, do you advise buying support? Why does the product initially lack a convenient recovery mode to a network drive and do I need technical support or a forum?
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 » 2 people like this post

Most of the people who post here are Veeam customers and have support. He was suggesting you contact support as this is not where you create support tickets.

No one was aware you don't have support with Veeam. If this is a production environment you really should have support on EVERYTHING. If it is not a production then this should be a minor issue.

If I bought a house without insurance, and it burnt down. I'm not sure what asking what to do on a forum would help. I have an issue and I"m not covered.
applc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Chris A

Post by applc » 2 people like this post

Based on the error message you are getting, this is definitely a Windows permissions issue. There is nothing wrong or faulty with Veeam in this case. Veeam Support could tell you exactly which account is being used to write the files to the network share. From there you could ensure the right permissions (both NTFS AND Share permissions) are set properly. Also, I believe newer versions of Windows don't allow some accounts to utilize the Everyone group. You would have to specifically assign the Veeam account that is writing to the network share with the proper permissions, rather than relying on the Everyone group. As for which account is being used to write the files, I can't help you there. My assumption is that the account is either the one you logged into the Veeam application with, or the account that is used to start the Veeam service account. Again, Veeam Support could tell you that. I'm sure if you did a search online, you could find out that information as well. If it is indeed the Veeam service account, you should check to make sure it is a network/domain account.

On another note, the people answering your question here are trying to help. There is no need to be rude to them. You really SHOULD have a support contract if backups are important to you.
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

Thanks for the detailed answer. Sorry if I was rude, I just was discouraged and upset by the inability to do the usual things. Unfortunately, there is very little information online on how to solve the technical problems of Veeam products. And having bought this product, we hoped that working with it would be convenient
fsr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fernando Rapetti

Post by fsr »

There is a "Restore VM files" option. You could restore the files to any of your servers added to Veeam. Or just restore the VM to any HOST. No space on any of them?
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

Prerequisites for adding a server is installed by Windows 2008, as I wrote earlier. We do not have extra servers with installed Windows 2008. It also seems strange to us that we have to pay for errors or shortcomings of developers
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ryhor,

I can confirm that it should be possible to restore VM files by typing in UNC path. If that's not working debug log analysts is required (as it might be infrastructure specific issue and it's impossible to identify the root cause). We do provide support on best effort for accounts with expired support contact, so please raise a support case and share the case ID in this thread. Thank you!
gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk »

Thanks, i try!