Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gblyshchyk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryhor

Restoring "VM Files Restore" to a network share

Post by gblyshchyk » Sep 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Since there is not enough space on the backup storage server to extract all the files of the virtual machine (.vmdk), it was decided to restore these files to a network drive. What was my surprise when it turned out that this can not be done! In "Destanation" you can specify only the server (as I understand it, on which the veeam agent is installed - windows 2008 and higher, as well as ESXi hosts). The "Select Folders" window does not see network mapped drives. I added the computer on which the network share is open to "Backup Repositories" with the hope that it will appear in the "Destination" but this did not happen! Just don’t tell to use Extract utility, it restores only from full backup, and I have an incremental archive. NetUseShareAccess = 1

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 850 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restoring "VM Files Restore" to a network share

Post by Dima P. » Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello gblyshchyk,

Start file level recovery and open backup browser select copy to option and instead of choosing the path to a local folder type in the UNC path to the desired file share. Hope this helps, cheers!

gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk » Sep 17, 2019 6:14 am

Dmitry, in the subject I wrote that I need to restore exactly .vmdk and FLR is absolutely not suitable here. What surprises me is the other - that in such a wonderful product there is no such important and necessary opportunity how to save virtual machine files to a network drive (ftp, webdav, etc.), and setting up a backup to a network drive is possible, this is nonsense.

I also want to add that the recommended method of "copying" involves copying each directory, and not the entire disk at once - imagine for a minute that there are a thousand directories and each must be copied.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Thank you for the clarification, for a moment I thought that you were referring to the guest files and not VM files.

In case of restoring virtual machine files it should be possible to type in the UNC under the Browse dialog UI. Can you please check if that works for you?

gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk » Sep 18, 2019 6:50 am

I entered the path manually. But when I tried to restore, I got the error "Error Access to file is denied. Failed to create directory '\\win-jek912ph432\testrepo' Access is denied." Access to the folder is allowed for everyone to write, if you go to this computer via the network, you can get into the directory and write data. I tried adding credentials to the credential store "Veeam B&R" but it still doesn't work.

Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am

Ryhor,

Can you please confirm that the selected server (above the path text box on the screenshot) has access to the mentioned file share? Try to open the share via regular Windows explorer from this server to be sure. Cheers!

gblyshchyk
Novice

Post by gblyshchyk » Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am

gblyshchyk wrote:
Sep 18, 2019 6:50 am
I entered the path manually. But when I tried to restore, I got the error "Error Access to file is denied. Failed to create directory '\\win-jek912ph432\testrepo' Access is denied." Access to the folder is allowed for everyone to write, if you go to this computer via the network, you can get into the directory and write data. I tried adding credentials to the credential store "Veeam B&R" but it still doesn't work.
I also gave full rights to "ntfs" to the guest. It does not help

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1542 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Ryhor, please contact technical support for a closer look. Thanks!