Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
uphillma
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Uphill

restoring VM from NAS box

Post by uphillma »

Hi Guys,

Ok this may be a really dumb question but here goes.
I have created a back up of a hyper V VM and stored it on a NAS box. All good so far.
I am now trying to restore the VM to another HP microserver running Server 2013 r2.
My problem is this, As I go through the wizard steps to restore the VM I get to where the VM asked for the name of a host and I don't know what to search for. I've tried the name of the server WINDOWS-XXXXXX, local host etc etc etc with no luck can anyone suggest what to search for?

Mark
Cardiff University.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: restoring VM from NAS box

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mark,

That backup of the Hyper-V VM, that is created by Veeam Backup & Replication right?

So, you have that backup and you use Veeam B&R to recover it to another host. Namely, a new windows server 2012 (I assume, not 2013 ;-)) R2. That server is running Hyper-V as a role?
That new server, with the Hyper-V role on, is your host where you want to restore this new VM on

Makes sense?
Mike
uphillma
Novice

Post by uphillma »

Hi Mike,

That all makes sense, thanks, and that's what I thought I should do. Still can't find that host though. I'll have to try again......... Tell me if this makes a difference. I actually have two identical servers and want to restore the Hyper-V VM to the second server. This second server is already running a windows 7 VM and I want to add the restored VM as a second. Does this complicate matters?

Mark
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not, this should not complicate things anyhow. As long as the given Hyper-V server is added to a backup console, it should be visible in GUI and should be selectable as a target in VM restore wizard. Thanks.
uphillma
Novice

Post by uphillma »

I think I've found the problem. The server itself wasn't added to the veeam software. Once added I found the host via its ip address and my VM is now restoring.

Thanks for the pointers.

Mark
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, adding instance to list of managed servers makes it selectable for job configuration operations and others. Glad to hear that you've solved your problem. Thanks.