Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Shogan

Restoring VM Guest OS Files - Quick Question

Post by Shogan »

Hi All,

I would like to restore an individual file from a Windows 2003 Server VM that has been backed up by Veeam Backup and Replication. Now when I choose to restore Guest OS files within the Veeam Backup GUI, It gives me a wizard, where I choose the VM that I would like to restore from and then subsequently choose the restore point I would like to work with. However, after this point, it gives me a "Finish" button on the "Completing Restore Wizard" screen and says that it will start the task after I click Finish.

I was just worried that this is going to go and restore this rollback point to our live VM. Is this the case or does it redirect the restore somewhere else so that I can grab the file without affecting the live VM?

Cheers,
Shogan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restoring VM Guest OS Files - Quick Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Shogan,

File-level restore opreations do not affect production VMs at all. The VM file system is mounted to your backup server from the backup storage. And once it has been done, the Guest OS file system is displayed in the Backup Browser so you can copy necessary files and folders to your local machine drive or save them anywhere within the network.

Also please note that you can use both built-in file restore, and file level restore wizard to restore guest files from a Windows 2003 VM.

Hope it helps!
Shogan

Re: Restoring VM Guest OS Files - Quick Question

Post by Shogan »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Shogan,

File-level restore opreations do not affect production VMs at all. The VM file system is mounted to your backup server from the backup storage. And once it has been done, the Guest OS file system is displayed in the Backup Browser so you can copy necessary files and folders to your local machine drive or save them anywhere within the network.

Also please note that you can use both built-in file restore, and file level restore wizard to restore guest files from a Windows 2003 VM.

Hope it helps!
Hi Vitaliy S,

Thanks for confirming that. Great to know. I was wondering if the VA would also allow that or not, as that is what I originally was going to use, but then saw on the welcome screen that for 2003 VM's I could use the file restore wizard within Veeam Backup.

Thanks for the help!