Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
leehardy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Hardy

Restoring VM level backup over WAN

Post by leehardy »

Hi,

We're looking to go ahead with Veeam and currently getting the infrastructure sorted for our DR process. I'd like to know if Veeam can restore VM's over a WAN link? If so, were the link to drop for a minute, would the recovery process resume or would the job fail and need to be restarted?

We'd be looking at doing this over a 200Mbps link

Thanks

Lee
www.leejghardy.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restoring VM level backup over WAN

Post by foggy »

Hello Lee,

Yes, you can restore backups to remote hosts, however I recommend considering backup copy jobs to copy your backups to remote location to avoid restoration over an unstable link.
leehardy
Novice

Post by leehardy »

Thanks Foggy, can I run backup copy jobs on demand? i.e. create a new one then get it to transfer a large batch of backup files or is it only for use with a backup job/when a backup job runs?
www.leejghardy.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can run it on demand via Sync Now option. Just select the required synchronization interval and start the sync process.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

i.e. create a new one then get it to transfer a large batch of backup files
Be aware, that during its run the Backup Copy Job doesn't copy existing backup chain as the whole, but rather synthetically create restore point in target location using VM data contained in the "source" location.

Thanks.
BrandonH
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon Hogue

Post by BrandonH »

v.Eremin wrote: Be aware, that during its run the Backup Copy Job doesn't copy existing backup chain as the whole, but rather synthetically create restore point in target location using VM data contained in the "source" location.

Thanks.
So I've been using the File Copy Job to move backups from site to site. I tried the remote job, but it only seems accessible via the server that created it. The server it's stored on can't seem to access the job if I need to restore it in that way.

I have a few backups that won't complete on our HQ Veeam server, so I have them running across a 10gig DWDM connection with little issue. We have very good uptime (As we own the equipment) so I can't say what would have if something broke.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

BrandonH wrote:I tried the remote job, but it only seems accessible via the server that created it.
Not sure I'm on the same page with you....if you want to restore you can either use the existing server that copied backup files or install a new server, import backup files there and run the restore procedure.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As the last resort you can put into use simple extract.exe tool that we ship with every product installation, using which you can restore given backup data without the need to install backup server. Thanks.
leehardy
Novice

Post by leehardy »

Thanks for the replies to my questions

Lee
www.leejghardy.com
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should any other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks.