Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bass_lure
Novice
Liked: never

Restoring VMs from a Backup Copy job

Post by bass_lure »

Hi, I'm curious if there is a way to restore a VM from a vbm file located on a separate drive without using Veeam Backup and Replication's recovery wizard? There has to be a way, right? We have our B&R located on a VM and if that VM fails then what are we supposed to do? I'm just wondering if there's a way to restore 'offline' like you can with the Veeam Agent for Windows and using an external recovery media. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restoring VMs from a Backup Copy job

Post by Dima P. »

Hello bass_lure.

You can use Extract Utility which does not require any interaction with Veeam Backup & Replication. All other recoveries require Veeam B&R (at least free edition). Cheers!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Why not to stick with having a reserve backup server instead (use either configuration backup, or VAW for that)?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, I'm curious if there is a way to restore a VM from a vbm file located on a separate drive without using Veeam Backup and Replication's recovery wizard.
I guess you're talking about .vbk or .vib files, right? .vbm contains only metadata.

You can use the extract utility recommended by Dmitry, but only for restoring from full backups. To restore from incremental data you will still need a backup console to import backup chain to.

Thanks!