Retention just for sets of data

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Retention just for sets of data

Veeam Logoby infused » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:44 am

So I have this issue quite often. Big VMs. A data drive (Microsoft Office documents etc). I don't want retention on the entire vm, it's just a waste of space. Is there anything I can do with Veeam just to hold sets of this data in a retention repository?
http://www.infused.co.nz - My Blog.
infused
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Re: Retention just for sets of data

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:03 am

In that case you don't want a VM level backup so I would suggest to look into Veeam Agent for Windows and only protect the data volume with it. The server version would give you the scheduling options from VBR and we announced integration into VBR which will come later this year

Just an idea
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby larry » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 pm

I create a drive on the server for retention. Then exclude other disks on Veeam job to backup and retain.
larry
Expert

Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Veeam Logoby infused » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am

Mike Resseler wrote:In that case you don't want a VM level backup so I would suggest to look into Veeam Agent for Windows and only protect the data volume with it. The server version would give you the scheduling options from VBR and we announced integration into VBR which will come later this year

Just an idea
Mike

So the Veeam agent can just target data. Can I then point this B&R repository? I think I've looked at this before, and that's the missing piece.
http://www.infused.co.nz - My Blog.
infused
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Correct, Veeam Agent for Windows can use backup repository as a target, if that's what you're asking for.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication