Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Retention options

Post by blodsbror »

Hi,

I'm wondering what the existing options are for retaining certain backups, or for marking certain backups to never be deleted ?.
For example, we often make 'base installs' of webservers - so it would be nice to have the first full backup marked to never be deleted regardless of retention settings for the job.

A feature suggestion would be to (either on a per VM or job basis) be able to set the day to day retention (21 days for example), and in addition to keep the last backup from each week,month,year - or to keep a particular backup permanently.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retention options

Post by foggy »

Evan, you're most likely talking about GFS retention of backups, available in Veeam B&R v7 with backup copy jobs.
blodsbror
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Evan Williams

Post by blodsbror »

Right, so just to get my head around the use case of backup copy jobs - this is to essentially make copies of existing backups, and send them to another location for the purpose of offsite copies, or permanent retention as per my query above ?. Are the backup copy job schedules granular - so that a VM/Job can have archives/copies made for the last backup of each week,month, and year for example ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

blodsbror wrote:Right, so just to get my head around the use case of backup copy jobs - this is to essentially make copies of existing backups, and send them to another location for the purpose of offsite copies, or permanent retention as per my query above ?.
Pretty much yes, besides the fact that backup copy job doesn't copy backup files but rather synthetically creates required restore points in target location from VM data stored in source backup repository.
blodsbror wrote:Are the backup copy job schedules granular - so that a VM/Job can have archives/copies made for the last backup of each week,month, and year for example ?
I suggest reviewing the corresponding user guide section to get better understanding on how GFS retention works in backup copy jobs. If you still have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here.