Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Retention Periods

Post by bsoosay »

If I set restore point to 14.

When the first backup is performed a full backup is done, then incrementals from monday to friday and then subsequently a synthetic full on a Saturday.

Now once the 14 restore points have been met and the first backup file gets deleted, which backup gets deleted first? The first full backup, or the incrementals that were INITIALLY created?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retention Periods

Post by foggy »

Benjamin, please review the corresponding user guide section for better understanding of how retention works with forward incremental mode.

Here's also another existing topic with a vivid explanation.
Thanks.
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Post by bsoosay »

Hi Foggy,

Thank you for the explanation and the link which explained retention periods better.

If I set a restore point to 14. And I perform one full backup and the rest are all incrementals each day (no synthetic full is run). Then do backups do get purged off or do they not?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You are not able to disable periodic fulls completely (UI does not allow that), so you would either have synthetic or at least yearly active fulls. Since only the entire backup chain (full with corresponding increments) can be deleted, backups will not be purged until the new full and 13 increments are available.