Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

retention policy issue, switched from incremental to reverse

Post by Jamie Pert »

Hey guys I have been monitoring Veeam for our company for a while now, however one of my repositories is out of free space. I can see that someone switched the job from incremental to reverse - the trouble is the 31 day retention policy only seems to apply to the reverse incremental backups - meaning I have 1TB's worth of standard incremental files sitting there still (including the full backup which was part of the incremental jobs).

So to cut a long story short my servers are showing 41 restore points instead of 31 - the 10 extras are not needed, but I don't know the best way of getting rid of these.

I have raised a support call with Veeam a short while ago, so I may get an answer from them soon - but thought that this would be quite an interesting topic on the forum as well. :mrgreen:
@jam1epert on Twitter
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: retention policy issue, switched from incremental to rev

Post by foggy »

Do you probably have the part of the old forward incremental backup chain (several (depending on the frequency of fulls) VBK files and a set of VIBs) plus the new reverse incremental chain containing a set of VRBs and the latest VBK? Then the number of restore points on disk will conform to your retention policy in time automatically.
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Post by Jamie Pert »

Yes, that's the problem I have an old chain lingering around so it shows more restore points and thus using more of my storage location than it should be. How can I delete these files without upsetting Veeam?
@jam1epert on Twitter
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can just remove them manually. But keep in mind, that the corresponding records will not be immediately removed from the database and will still be visible in the restore wizard, for example, until finally they are deleted according to retention.
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Post by Jamie Pert »

Great, even the original VBK, this was the beginning of the chain for the incremental backups - all of which are well over 2 months old
@jam1epert on Twitter
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can remove the whole old forward increment chain including related vbk, just note that after that you will have the number of restore points as of the reverse incremental chain (i guess less than 31 for the time being, hard to say without knowing what files do you have in your repository).
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast

Post by Jamie Pert »

Great all sorted, I guess it's just a shame you cant do this within Veeam - I guess the risk of breaking a chain is what Veeam devs are worried about, but in my case the chain wasn't related to these old files. I manually deleted the files which weren't needed anymore - but it will obviously still show more restore points then there actually are - I don't think the retention feature will actually trim the restore points count...
@jam1epert on Twitter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, just to be on the safe side, the number of restore points should be solely controlled by the configured retention policy.