Retention policy question

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Retention policy question

Veeam Logoby shrlcksmth » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello,

I have a replication job that every time it finishes it is applying the retention policy for one to two hours at most. This vm has a disk that is quite big, 1.2TB, not sure if it makes a difference.

Is it normal for this task to take so long? Is it due to being slow to remove the snapshot at the DR vCenter site?

If this is not normal I will open a support cas, however I wanted to see your opinion first as for my other jobs the retention policy takes only a couple of minutes.
shrlcksmth
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: George Violaris

Re: Retention policy question

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello George and welcome to the community!
VM size does matter here as retention applying is merging 2 oldest restore points in 1. However, if you feel like 2 hours sound too long for it you may contact Veeam support for the detailed investigation and check if something can be improved.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 407 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Retention just deletes the oldest snapshot of the replica VM. You could play with manual snapshot deletion for VM (and snapshot) of similar size to see whether it takes similar time.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby shrlcksmth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:57 am 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your replies. I have just tried this and indeed it takes the same amount of time to remove a snapshot of similar size VM. On my production site it only takes a few seconds, and I just noticed that only on DR site it takes much longer due to slow and old storage. But I guess this is ok since it is only used for DR purposes.
shrlcksmth
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: George Violaris

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication