Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Reverse Increment Backup to Rotating USB Drives - Restore Point?

Post by Wad4iPod »

My apologies if this specific question has been asked - and answered in the forums.

We have 6 rotating USB drives.
Backup jobs are configured as Reverse Incremental.
Drives are swapped/changed out each Wednesday. This means there will 7 backups on each drive before it is swapped with the next drive.
The 6-drives are swapped out randomly - not in any specific ascending/descending order.
The current restore points to be kept for the Backup Job (this is not a Backup Copy job) is 32.

My question is:
What can I expect to have on each drive for restore points? Is it even an attainable number based on my configuration(s)?
Would I expect that there will be a maximum of 32 restore points across ALL 6 USB drives at any given time?

What (can I?) metric/configuration would I use to determine a/the specific number of restore points to be kept on each USB drive vs. across all USB drives.

Thank you,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Reverse Increment Backup to Rotating USB Drives - Restore Point?

Post by foggy »

If it is a Windows type repository, backup job will maintain the configured number of restore points across all drives. You may read in more detail in this user guide section. Thanks!
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

Hi Foggy.

What if a drive is pulled out of the rotation? Say it gets dropped and no longer powers on.
At what point is the drives contents purged from the restore point count?
I believe what is disconnecting me on this is - you MUST retain some order to the backup physical rotation to get a baseline of the number of restore points across the media count.
My logic stands to reason - if the drives are swapped, missed, or archive out - the media restore points cannot be accurately maintained until a baseline is achied of the total restore points listed in the Veeam DB.

The guide - confuses (not hard to do from time-to-time) the heck out of me on this subject. It has been a few years since I perused it's pages - but I believe it mainly speaks to Backup Copies..
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

hat if a drive is pulled out of the rotation? Say it gets dropped and no longer powers on.
The job will keep the required number of restore points on the rest of the drives.
Wad4iPod
Enthusiast

Post by Wad4iPod »

How does VEEAM know a drive is no longer part of the media set - and to account for the restore points no longer available, at least until 32 restore points has accumulated and are cataloged? I am struggling with the telekinesis aspect of this :)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R doesn't know if you pull out a disk. But if the disk is no longer used, restore points stored on it will finally fall out of retention, when the number of more recent restore points on other disks reaches the configured number and those on the pulled out disk are not required anymore.