Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChoiceHomes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Choice Homes IT

Reverse Incremental Restore

Post by ChoiceHomes »

At the moment we run a reverse incremental backup each night and due to disk limitation we then transfer the smaller vrb file to an external drive each day and leave the most current vrb so it doesn't create a new "full" backup each night. I am having trouble importing and restoring from these vrb files. Basically when I go to Import Backup and browse for these files it only lets me import a vbm file or vbk. Are these backup files now useless? Or is there a way to import and restore that I am not aware of?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Reverse Incremental Restore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to perform a restore operation you need to have at least one VBK (full backup) and dependent VRB files (increments). It is not possible to import and run a restore job just from the incremental file.
ChoiceHomes wrote:...leave the most current vrb so it doesn't create a new "full" backup each night.
VRB file absence does not cause a full backup job run. You can have only 1 VBK file and still run the incremental job pass.
ChoiceHomes wrote:Are these backup files now useless? Or is there a way to import and restore that I am not aware of?
What are your retention policy settings?