Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Ariel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ariel Boer

Reverse Incremental VBK's

Post by Ariel »

Hey, I have a probably easy to fix issue, but I'm just missing something. How can I have Veeam not create a new VBK file every week while using reverse incremental? Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Reverse Incremental VBK's

Post by Gostev »

Sounds like you have active full backup enabled, this is the only reason why the new VBK can be created each week. You should uncheck the corresponding checkbox, this way the job will be reusing the single VBK file. Thanks!
Ariel
Novice

Post by Ariel »

nope, it's unchecked.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The primary benefit of using reversed incremental backup mode is that you always end up with a single VBK file which represents the most recent state of your VMs.

You could have two VBK files at the same time only if you have enabled active full backup or has just switched from forward incremental backup mode. If this is not the case, then please contact our support team for further investigation.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

...or somebody clicked "Perform Full Backup" in the UI on the job ;)
Ariel
Novice

Post by Ariel »

i had erased all backups and manually checked that the folder was in fact empty, made sure we were using reverse, and now there are 2 vbk's in several folders, one has 3, and another one has 4 vbk's. I have also have a post open about using a Qnap device as an iSCSI drive, perhaps this is causing the issue? http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 821#p37821
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well,this is the only clue we have found so far...

Could you please choose any local disk as a destination target for your backup job and check if you have more than 1 VBK file after a few job runs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh no, iSCSI is not THAT bad :D Just unreliable under heavy load, and poor exception handling.

Can you share a screenshot of what you see, just so that we are on the same page. And also screenshot of your job schedule, as well as screenshot of the dialog where you select the backup mode (incremental/reversed).