Rotated hard drives support in v8

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

[MERGED] : Backup Copy three drive rotation two jobs

Veeam Logoby mark_firestone » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Hello...

I have had a 3 drive rotation for 2 backup jobs for years now, using a script. I upgraded to veeam 8 and apparently the way the jobs work has changed, and the job was killing the script that copied the vbk files to the rdx carts.

I've tried to set up two backup jobs, one for each job (which run on alternate days) to copy them to an rdx cart, one for each job.

Because I only have three rdx carts (so one can be stored off site every night) I tried setting up a script to erase the backup copied to the rdx cart before the backup job being copied runs. I set the repositories as "rotated hard drives".

Veeam doesn't seem to like that, but if I don't do that, it will (I assume) attempt to leave the other job on the cart.

What is the solution? Buy another rdx cart and have two carts per job, or ? All I want is to keep a copy off site. This shouldn't be this hard, should it?
mark_firestone
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Firestone

Re: Rotated hard drives support in v8

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi, Mark,

In order to make backup copy job work with rotated media, you have to delete previously created regkey, assign repository role to the said drive, using "Rotated hard drives" option, create a backup copy job and point it to the newly created repository. Are you positive that all required steps have been followed?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 987 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Roberto » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:38 pm

for what we can see... Yes. We tested "Instant VM Recovery" on new (after hole of one week for RDX set) and old (restore point present before ejecting RDX on end of set week) Incremental, without error.
Roberto
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Can you open a ticket with our support team and provide its number here, so that, we can take a look at the described behaviour more thoroughly? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Roberto » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:32 am

Ticket Reference: 00706341 "New Rotated Hard Drive Support"
Roberto
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Backup copy job is able to continue incremental chain existing on each of the rotated drives. There are several issues, however, that could cause the increment size to be equal to the full backup, they will be addressed in the next patch most likely.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Roberto » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

As we can see, for the most bcj on RDX left off for a week and so inserted back, we have first incremental file about doubled in size in respect of previous incremental files. As now no full size incremental was observed, but it is good to know this behavior is supported and improved in the future.
Roberto
Influencer

[MERGED] : Best practice for offsite rotation?

Veeam Logoby meeyou » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Currently I've got a couple of clients set up with a primary backup target and then two little QNAP nas's that they rotate offsite.

I'm using backup copy jobs to replicate to restore points to the QNAPs, but it tends to get behind or just break fairly often, requiring lots of manual intervention.

Is there a better way to do this? Does anyone have any suggestions for achieving a physically carried offsite backup with Veeam?
meeyou
Influencer

Full Name: John White

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:22 am

If you're on version 8 already, then, the recommended approach would be to enable rotated drive option in the settings of repositories backup copy jobs are pointed to and let backup server orchestrate everything in automatic fashion.

Also, I'm wondering what particular errors you come across while dealing with rotated media.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pawel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Can this option be used if the external drives have different drive letters? I would like to have 2 external drives with different drive letters that can be used to store some backups off-site. However, when I add the repository I have to specify one path, so there is no way to rotate the drives if they have different drive letters.

Any work around for this?

Thanks.
pawel
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 pm

v8 will follow known drives regardless of the drive letter.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2362 times

Veeam Logoby pawel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Do I add this under the repositories or somewhere else?

If I go to create a new repository I have to select a path to a folder. When creating a backup I have to pick a repository. If I have 2 different drives how can I set it up so that the job is targeted to those 2 drives and will automatically pick the one that is plugged in? In backup exec I could create storage pools which backup jobs could target, but a similar option doesn't seem to be available in Veeam (unless I'm mistaken)?
pawel
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 pm

It just works. Plug-in one drive, backup there. Then plug-in another drive, backup there. They will both become known to B&R, and from this point on it does not matter if their drive letter changes in future.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2362 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:47 pm

So the trick is to "introduce" both drives using the same drive letter during the first job runs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby pawel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Ok, thanks. So I'll do the following:

- Drive 1 - Assign Drive letter F:
- Add Drive 1 to repository using F:\Backups as the path, select the removable drive option
- Create a new backup job "Test Backup", target to the new repository
- Unplug Drive 1 once job is done and plug in Drive 2
- Assign Drive 2 the letter F:
- Start "Test Backup" job for the second time.

I assume Veeam will create the folder "Backups" or do I need to create it? Am I understanding correctly that if I change Drive 2 to have a drive letter of G:\ once the first backup finishes to it Veeam will automatically switch it over to that drive letter and back again when Drive 1 is plugged in?

I'll try this once the drives are available.
pawel
Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication