That is correct.
Veeam will create the folder.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

[MERGED] : Backup Copy retention on version 8

Veeam Logoby zone » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:18 am

Hi guys,

I'm still having issues after changing to backup copy jobs for daily usb drive rotation. My main problem is with what retention period to set on the backup copy job.
For example; If I have 5 disks and swap them daily monday to friday what retention period would i set to on the backup copy job to hold at least 1 full backup on each disk.

Regards
Adam
zone
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: 7

Re: Rotated hard drives support in v8

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:25 am

You can specify whatever retention you want to. Just assign repository role to rotated media and enable "rotated" option in its settings. VB&R will make sure that at least one .vbk exists on every rotated drive. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby zone » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:07 am

I do have that option set for the removable storage repository. What I am finding is that on the backup copy job I have set "restore points to keep" at 2 due to drive size. Then after a few rotations the drives will end up with 3 - 4 .vbk files which then cause the drive space become full.
zone
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:30 am

What product version you're using? Starting form version 8 there is a corresponding option in the repository settings. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby zone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:57 am

This is using version 8.0.0.817

Like i said; the repository is set for drive rotation. http://i.gyazo.com/601f9a710b793a3160f6957c1b5acef8.png
Then the backup copy job is set to use this repository however the drive fills up with more restore points than specified under "restore points to keep". In this case it is set to 2. http://i.gyazo.com/2d3cd51bb4320fb25dd232f2ab26becc.png
zone
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:28 am

Basically, with these settings, backup copy job should continue incremental chain on each of the drives, so I recommend contacting support to investigate why full backup is created during each cycle.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby PaulJeM » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Alexander,

We are experiencing similar problems with Backup Copy Jobs, Rotated Media and Incremental Chains. (including Multiple VBKs some days and seemingly successful VIB Incrementals on other days, all from the same Job)

I have created a Support Ticket that is still outstanding from over 2 weeks ago (case 00731632). Each response that we have recived from Veeam Support has stated that Incremental Chains on Rotated Drive is not possible ... but this is not the results we are seeing. We are seeing that its does seem to be possible, if a little flawed!

Our last Veeam Support response stated;

"However this triggered conflict in a Veeam memory, for some reason backup chain was broken and we get mixed files in a repository one for January 20 and the second for January 26. Situation on the print screen was created by mixed of a different restore points for different time shifts, I am not even sure if this combination would be successful for restore.
Currently I see that algorithm which you are trying to use doesn't work like you need. Veeam doesn't support for each drive a single backup chain. It is a by design behaviour. Every time when a new disk inserted Veeam search for the latest restore point in a chain. We do not save for each drive an own chain, we think about all these drives like about one repository."

Obviously we are concerned the reported 'Successful' Backups may not be 'successful for restore' but we are also unsure about what is and what is not possible.

If you could you please clarify what is and is not possible , we would be very grateful?

Regards

Paul
PaulJeM
Lurker

Full Name: P Magleave

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Paul, incremental chains are possible, however there are known issues regarding this functionality (including periodically created full restore points) that will be addressed in patch 2. That said, restores should work fine, if the job reports it was successful.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joosef619 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Just upgraded to v8 and so far so good but question regarding the repository changes for enabling rotated hard drive support.

Now that we have the option of configuring a repository for rotated media I had removed the previous v7 registry hacks that enabled this:
ForceCreateMissingVBK - For starting the chain anew.
ForceDeleteBackupFiles - For purging broken chain data.

It seems that the new changes in v8 for the rotated media repository are only impacting the creation of a new chain of backups, but not purging the older data. It is removing data but only based on the backup copy job retention assignment.
I did like this automated feature of purging the disk when the disks get swapped on a weekly basis. Wondering if there was something I missed configuration wise, or that I simply need to continue to use the registry hack for now.

Any advice would be appreciated

Joe
joosef619
Lurker

Full Name: Joe Heersema

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi, Joe. In v8, all backup files which are no longer under retention should be purged automatically as you attach an older drive. Please, double check if the backup files you are expecting to be purged are still under job's retention policy. If they are not, please open a support case for investigation. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

Veeam Logoby joosef619 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks Gostev!

Right now all my backup copy jobs are set to only keep 7 restore points.
I rotate the drives once a week, with about 5 weeks worth of rotated media.

As an example I just swapped in a disk for this weeks backup after upgrading.
The backup copy chain has a new full VBK - 3/14
The old chain has 7 restore points - vib and 1 full vbk dates 1/30 thru 2/6.

Checking if that would be considered a broken chain and that data should be purged?
If it should and it isn't I will submit a support case and link it to the thread.

Thanks Again!

Joe
joosef619
Lurker

Full Name: Joe Heersema

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:45 pm

With 7 points retention, the old full with corresponding increments will be deleted only after the number of points in the new chain reaches 7 (this is just how forward incremental backup works). So everything looks expected in your case.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] USB rotated media filling up

Veeam Logoby Lershac » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 am

I have a daily backup with synthetic set for saturdays, forward incrementals, retention set to 7 restore points. Rotating USB external media

I would expect a maximum of 14 restore points on disk, but right now I have 47... am I misunderstanding what "restore points" means?

I have 9 .vbk files and 37 vib files spread proportionately over a couple months date range.

Can I get some clarification on what I am doing wrong? My rotating media is filled up!

Thanks
Lershac
Lurker

Full Name: Chuck Spillman

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:38 am

Hello Chuck!
What vesion of Veeam Backup & Replication are you using?
Also please review relevant posts of the topic. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication