Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

RPC function call failed

Post by lobo519 »

I have been receiving this following error on a few VMs (same ones consistently)

Code: Select all

Finalizing
Error: The remote procedure call failed RPC function call failed. Function name: [DoRpc]. Target machine
The job still reports 'Success' with no retry. This started happening when I moved from a LInux Repo to a Windows one (consolidated with my proxy server).

Any thoughts? Is it expected behavior to report as 'Success'. What exactly is it failing to do?

Case# 5185316
lobo519
Veteran

Re: RPC function call failed

Post by lobo519 »

Anyone? Last I heard from support they are trying to blame this on a firewall issue which doesn't make any sense as it only happens on one VM sometimes two ( same ones).

Also, this failure seems to cause the synthetic full/transform operations not to run. In my backup view I show incremental but the job is set for daily synthetic fulls and transform.
cdickerson
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Craig Dickerson

Post by cdickerson »

Having same issue. I opened a support case with this error and the OIB already exists error. I got an email back with a pilot hotfix. So don't know if the pilot hotfix is to fix just the OIB problem or if it fixes this RPC error as well.

-Craig
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Have you applied the fix?? please post back with your results!
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Still seeing this issue. Support hasn't offered much yet. I re-created the job and now I am seeing the same RPC errors on different VMs. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I switched from a Linux repo to a Windows one to consolidate with my proxy but that now seems like a mistake....

I am thinking its a problem on my windows repo side but I don't have a clue where to start. Its a dedicated box and there isnt anything installed other than the Veeam agents.
cdickerson
Enthusiast

Post by cdickerson »

No the patch didn't help. Support got into my system and did various steps to "reregister" the VM's in the Job. It appears to have fixed one, but another one still isn't fixed.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

What backup mode are you using? I switched to reverse incremental and things seem to have improved
cdickerson
Enthusiast

Post by cdickerson »

It's reverse incremental.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Well it ran fine for a few days on reverse incremental but I just received the same RPC error last night on a VM.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

cdickerson wrote:It's reverse incremental.
Have you had any luck resolving this issue? I have been escalated to tier 3 support now.
cdickerson
Enthusiast

Post by cdickerson »

Nope, same problem, have been at Tier 3 all along. Veeam just wants to close the case now, saying its a Windows problem.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 » 2 people like this post

I am getting the same feeling.

I ran wireshark on the machine and quickly found a lot of errors that were indicative of the a problem with the NIC offloading which is apparently a common issue with VMware causing slow network performance.

On Friday I disabled all TCP offloading in the network adapter (Veeam server is a VM) and after a week of continuously having the RPC error, The job ran fine all weekend (3 Times). Fingers crossed!

You may want to check it out.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

Job ran fine for a a few days but I am getting the error again. I am going to try and capture the job activity in wireshark
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by johnlong »

Got this error just now. New install, with version 6.0.0.181 64bit server 2008 R2, linux VM. First backup over the WAN. Guess I need to open a support case.

Does this error make the backup invalid?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since this is a finalizing stage of your backup job, so I would assume that all data has already been transferred to the DR site, and there is no reason why it should not be valid. Anyway, just to be on the safe side you need to open a support case and verify this with your support engineer.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

johnlong wrote:Got this error just now. New install, with version 6.0.0.181 64bit server 2008 R2, linux VM. First backup over the WAN. Guess I need to open a support case.
Does this error make the backup invalid?
My problematic VM is a Linux one as well. Last night I noticed log truncation was enabled for this VM - I disabled it and the it was successful. But the failures are very sporadic so it could be a few days before I know if this had any effect.
lobo519
Veteran

Post by lobo519 »

This has not been an issue since disabling log truncation. Support insists that it is not related. Any one able to resolve any differently?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6716 times

Post by Gostev »

lobo519 wrote:My problematic VM is a Linux one as well. Last night I noticed log truncation was enabled for this VM - I disabled it and the it was successful. But the failures are very sporadic so it could be a few days before I know if this had any effect.
I insist on that as well :D log truncation is a part of functionality that is never used against Linux guests, these guest are just plain skipped without any processing attempts (at least this is how it works in 6.1 for sure), so these events are definitely not connected.
DennisZ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis Zarobsky

Post by DennisZ »

Hello,

I was wondering if you even resolved your RPC issue. We are experiencing the same exact issue about every three days on one of our VEEAM servers, and about once a week on another VEEAM server.

VEEAM support is trying to push it off on something not being configured correctly in Windows. I'm getting nowhere after engaging both Microsoft and VEEAM on this issue.

Restarting the VEEAM installer service seems to fix until it happens again.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dennis
dennis.zarobsky@chicagotrading.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dennis,

Can you please tell me what error messages you have in Windows event log regarding this issue? Do you have the latest patch level on our Windows box where Veeam backup server resides?

Thanks!
hanusch
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Harold Hanusch

Post by hanusch » 1 person likes this post

I had this error while two different subnets were using two different DNS servers. Once I unified both subnets to the same DNS server and rebooted all the systems I was golden. Assuming other DNS issues may cause this too. Hope this helps someone out there.