Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Run production VMs in lab for testing

Post by pufferdude »

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I searched a bit and couldn't find exactly what I'm wanting to do.

We have a production web-based CRM that comprises a MS SQL db and a IIS web server (each its own VM in different vlans) that get backed up multiple times/day. There are occasions where we want/need to "look at" data from a backup because something has changed in production and we need to see what it looked like prior to the changes.

If this were a SINGLE vm (with IIS and SQL on same VM) I'd just do a Instant Recovery of the backup and not let it attach to the network, then use the ESXi console to get into the VM and just run the CRM web tool locally, then tear it down. But I can't think of a way to *safely* do this when I'm dealing with two VMs that are on different vlans (in production).

I know there's a "Virtual Lab" feature but I can't figure out how to use that to "run my VMs from backup" and then get them communicating since they're in differnet networks yet still need to be isolated from the production network. The virtual lab seems to be there for Surebackup, not for ad-hoc running VMs from backup.

Is what I'm wanting to do something I shouldn't be attempting, or is there a feature of Veeam I just don't know how to use properly to accomplish this?

Any advice appreciated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Run production VMs in lab for testing

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
to use that to "run my VMs from backup"
SureBackup automatically uses the latest backup. You ran run it ad-hoc and in your case you probably want to enable "keep the application group running after the job completes" checkbox. All required networks need to be configured in the virtual lab. There are blog posts and videos on veeam.com / youtube / whatever you prefer or blog posts how to configure SureBackup / VirtualLabs

The alternative is that you use any other routing option you like (e.g. some open source firewall system. I use pfSense, but there are many more) and connect instant recovery VMs to that to isolate them.

Best regards,
Hannes
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

SureBackup automatically uses the latest backup
Thanks for this info, but is there a way to choose ANY specific backup? My use case is needing to go back to a backup that is NOT the latest.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

yes, there is the "start to" option if you right-click on the SureBackup job.