Run time linux proxy server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Run time linux proxy server

Veeam Logoby smile_dav » Thu May 24, 2012 11:06 am

I'm not sure if anybody has requested this before, I know for a fact some people have called for allowing linux servers to be proxy servers, but what about runtime deployed ones? It only make sense as this would mean you won't have to worry about backing up a proxy server itself during small backup windows?

Just an idea.
smile_dav
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Re: Run time linux proxy server

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Run time or not, there are a number of reasons why we decided not to pursue Linux based proxies. We are, however, making some improvement in 6.1 to remove some final obstacles around reusing your existing Windows servers as backup proxies. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2381 times

Veeam Logoby lobo519 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Gostev wrote:Run time or not, there are a number of reasons why we decided not to pursue Linux based proxies. We are, however, making some improvement in 6.1 to remove some final obstacles around reusing your existing Windows servers as backup proxies. Thanks!

So no Linux proxies in the near future?
lobo519
Expert

Liked: 34 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

No. A bit more details here.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby smile_dav » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:28 am 1 person likes this post

Well this is still on my and many of my client's dream lists. Those damn Windows licenses...
smile_dav
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:39 am

Just use existing Windows VMs as your proxies, instead of deploying new.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby J1mbo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:15 am

smile_dav wrote:Well this is still on my and many of my client's dream lists. Those damn Windows licenses...

Didn't I read somewhere that Hyper-V Server could be used for this?
J1mbo
Expert

Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 am

Any Windows server can be used as a backup proxy.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: [POLL] OS for Veeam B&R management server?

Veeam Logoby mrt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm 1 person likes this post

when can hot-add users expect a linux based virtual appliance to replace the Windows vm they need to license and maintain? a guy can dream... :mrgreen:
mrt
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Proxy at remote location

Veeam Logoby mikegodwin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 am

Is it correct that in order to have a proxy at the remote replication site, I need a Windows VM to run the proxy? There is no way to use Linux or a virtual appliance?
mikegodwin
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Correct.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby CvBarney » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:22 pm 1 person likes this post

That's too bad. Not the whole world is based on Windows (thankfully!), and therefore I like the virtual appliance approach from VMware. Very easy to deploy new products (download, configure and running) and no additional OS licenses. We manage customers with large linux based environments and the only Windows servers are from management products or application dependency. But now we have to spend additional Windows licenses when we need another Veeam proxy, and not every client appreciates that. And no, we don't have spare Windows servers who can act as a proxy!

So I hope you change your mind about this in the (near) future. A whole Windows server for only transferring data is insane, look to that large (memory/disk) footprint. That can be done more efficiently, and a very small striped Linux server will be the best approach. And your security counter point is bogus: use the standard package manager from the distro to keep up to date and only deliver your small piece of proxy software.
But that's my point of view...
CvBarney
Influencer

Full Name: Christian van Barneveld

[MERGED] Backup Proxy as an OVA

Veeam Logoby bradclark » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm 3 people like this post

Instead of having a dedicated Windows Server VM to act as a Backup Proxy Agent, are there any plans for Veeam to create a lightweight Linux type Backup Proxy Appliance (OVA) that can be easily deployed at sites?
bradclark
Novice

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Brad Clark

[MERGED] Suggestion for Backup Proxy

Veeam Logoby jfrancis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:21 am 1 person likes this post

This may have already been suggested - I had an idea for an alternate, simpler approach to a backup proxy. Instead of bolting onto Windows (which is brilliant, I might add), what about a virtual appliance? Something really cut down, a thin linux appliance or something.

The reason for this is - we backup around 80 VMs each night, and to do so we have two dedicated, beefed up Windows servers acting as proxies. This obviously comes with the extra cost of Windows licensing, and the fat overheads of Windows. Also, we receive offsite backups from some of our clients, who may only have a single VM running on a host. Of course, the VM can't act as a proxy to backup itself, and the client doesn't want to pay for an additional windows license. This would fit perfectly in this scenario!

Veeam could even include the ability to automatically spin up preconfigured proxy appliances as required, leaving them shut down during peak hours and conserving precious RAM and CPU resources.

Just a thought :)
jfrancis
Lurker

Full Name: Jonathon Francis

Re: [MERGED] Suggestion for Backup Proxy

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:13 am

Jonathon, you're correct assuming that this has already been requested before. However you're not correct saying that "the VM can't act as a proxy to backup itself" as Veeam B&R proxy server can perfectly back itself up. What proxy VM cannot do is hotadd itself, so it can be backed up using network mode only (please search for existing discussions for details).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication