Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Olivier Merlin

Safely delete old backup copy restore points ?

Post by omerlin98000 »

Hello all

On a Veeam B&R 8 patch 2b (not latest patch 3 - planned) at a customer, I have some backup copy jobs with 15 restore points, and as the remaining disk size is decreasing on my local Windows repository, I found that many old restore points have never been deleted.

You can see this here:

How do I get rid oft these old restore points ? May I deleted them manually ? Do I just stop the job, delete, rescan repository and restart the job?

FYI, I have not yet opened a support case. This situation is very old I think, because I was in v7 version, updated to v8, then patch 1, 2, 2b...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Safely delete old backup copy restore points ?

Post by veremin »

Based on provided pictures, it seems that those points are just some obsolete entities that are counted inside the current backup chain, as the old .vbk seems to have been just updated, meaning retention works properly, though, it doesn't appear to take into account points outlined with red rectangle.

From my perspective, you can move them temporarily to a different folder, wait till a backup copy job runs and check whether or not the job is affected. If not, delete them permanently.

Anyway, you can open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly, as the situation looks unexpected.

Thanks.