SAP B1 HANA Support?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: SAP B1 HANA Support?

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 pm

dellock6 wrote:You can also check this paper we published lately:
https://www.veeam.com/wp-sap-oracle-dep ... guide.html
It has been written, from the technical point of view, by one of our solution architect Andreas Neufert, and we uses special consultancy from a large SAP integrator.

Just to clarify, the whitepaper is mostly about SAP frontend applications using an Oracle database on the backend, which is a common configuration, however, that has nothing to do with SAP HANA. This thread is about backing up SAP HANA, which is a competing database technology that can be used as the backend for many SAP applications, and also for custom applications. The whitepaper does include a short appendix regarding backup and restore of SAP HANA databases, but that section references the scripts in this thread and simply expounds on their use for backup and restore of SAP HANA instances.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1676 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:33 am

crackocain wrote:Feature Request - HANA Certified

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-62799

Too many customer want to protect HANA servers are HANA certified backup software. Because of that Veeam eliminate at the start.

If Veeam in leaders at Gartner reports this feature must be in roadmap. Very important enterprise customers.

Agree, just let me add here that the above scripts and the way Veeam create backups (SnapShot based) is a supported way for HANA backups, but SnapShot based backup software can not be certified at SAP.

BACKINT support (Plugin into HANA own Backup Software to save HANA Backups at the Backup vendors file/device format) is something Veeam needs to look into. BACKINT is the only way to get certified here, but as BACKINT work the way that it needs to transport all data (some TB in many cases) for a restore it is not inline with Veeams idea of fast restore. Maybe it is a way to increase acceptance doing high frequent (VM) SnapShot based backups with additional BACKINT (certified) backups once a day or week. At least this is what our Enterprise customers asking for at our events.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 333 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby PKaufmann » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:39 am

tsightler wrote:Like so many things, I got distracted with other issues and the clients I were working with at the time reported success with version 0.7 that I posted above, so I ended up moving on to other things. I only had evaluation installs of SAP HANA and now they are expired so I don't have access to an instance to continue any work, however, the scripts can easily be run from the command line to see if they function and you may get better errors there.

Hi,
thanks for your answer..
I could fix the problem after running it from the command line - so all fine, now :)
PKaufmann
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Great! Any chance you would share with us what you needed to do?
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PKaufmann » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:30 am

tsightler wrote:Great! Any chance you would share with us what you needed to do?

Sure :)

we are using the SAP Solution Manager and to monitor HANA systems.
The solution manager installs an instance called DAA but this instance has no database - but it's included in the file /usr/sap/sapservices.
The script is reading this file to get the instances for the snapshot.
As there is no database for this instance, the script stops/times out at this point.

So I created a custom file, named it "veeamsapservice" which has only the database instances in it.
Afterwards I modified the script to read this custom file instead of /usr/sap/sapservices.
That's all :)
PKaufmann
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks for reporting this issue and glad to know that it was a fairly minor issue overall. If I can find some time I'll try to stand up my HANA environment again and see if I can come up with a way to detect this situation, or at least not error out completely when an instance with no database is detected. I basically just use the same method the SAP startup scripts use to detect instances.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bjaguar33 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Unfortunately, this script does not support HANA in an HA environment. My tests worked successfully on non-HA HANA VMs but in an HA environment, the cluster reboots the node immediately after Pre-Freeze script and performs fail-over. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Anyone knows a workaround for this issue?
bjaguar33
Lurker

Full Name: Hasan Fakih

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm

We need to sort out the root cause.

It can be VMware snapshot related or the script.
Can you please copy the script to the hana server and run both?

Which HANA DB Plattform Version is used?
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 333 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby mohsiniqbal368 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 am

Can we use this script HANA MDC Databases? Will it freez all MDC DBs including System DB before taking snapshot?
mohsiniqbal368
Novice

Full Name: Mohsin

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:19 pm

mohsiniqbal368 wrote:Can we use this script HANA MDC Databases? Will it freez all MDC DBs including System DB before taking snapshot?

Unforuntately SAP HANA does not currently support snapshot style backups with Multitenant Database Containers.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mohsiniqbal368 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 am

What could be the possible way of backing up such HANA VMs. One option could be take OS level backup without Pre/Thaw Scripts and augment this backup with HANA DB level backups?
mohsiniqbal368
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes, that would be one way. Probably what I would do would be configure HANA to take it's own native backups to a volume on the VM, then backup the OS and the "backup" volume using Veeam. You could keep just a 1-2 days in the native local disk backups volume, and longer term backups in Veeam. It would always be possible to restore older databases by using FLR to restore the native HANA backup files and you'd also have a way to perform instant recovery and then quickly restore the databases if a serious problem damaged the VM.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jean » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am 1 person likes this post

crackocain wrote:Feature Request - HANA Certified

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-62799

Too many customer want to protect HANA servers are HANA certified backup software. Because of that Veeam eliminate at the start.

If Veeam in leaders at Gartner reports this feature must be in roadmap. Very important enterprise customers.

Near the bottom of the link I read:

"Snapshots are not part of the Backint API specification, and currently no certification is required for 3rd party tools using HANA snapshots."

It appears that VEEAM does not require certification from SAP since it uses HANA snapshots. Being an agent-less solution VEEAM doesn't require Backint API which, conversely, is indispensable for the agent-based (legacy) backup solutions. We may argue but I personally see the backup agents as weakness. So many things can go wrong with them, obviously SAP had to ensure that they can be trusted hence the certification. But I digress.

IMHO SAP seems pretty much confident of snapshots. Well, they're simple internal SQL statements after all, unlike APIs that are meant to interface between SAP and 3rd party (and usu. adds another layer of complexity). So can we assume that VEEAM is an equally viable backup solution for SAP HANA?

For some maybe, for some others maybe not. Any thoughts?
Jean
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Junghyun Chae

Veeam Logoby Clemens Bertram » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 am

+1 Feature Request - HANA Certified

HANA will be important in the Future because SAP is pushing it's Customers.
Clemens Bertram
Influencer

Veeam Logoby mohsiniqbal368 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:56 am

Hi,

We are using these Scripts for HANA Backup. We have set Purge Delay to 30 Days in Post/Thaw script as:

PURGELOGS="true" # Purge backup catalog and log file backups from filesystems
PURGEDAYS=30 # Purge log backups and catalog data for backups older than this

It does remove the entries in Backup Catalog but does not remove data/log backup files from filesystem. Is there any other setting to achieve this?

Regards
Mohsin
mohsiniqbal368
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication