Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
csferi95
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ferenc Cseh

SAPHANA database snapshot delete issue

Post by csferi95 » 1 person likes this post

I have a Veeam ticket, its identification number is #06105658, but the custom script content is not considered to be a part of the Veeam product line. Troubleshooting and creation of custom scripts are not supported as per the Veeam Support Policy. The Veeam Support team has redirected me to this forum.

Dear Veeam Community!

I am writing to you regarding our SAPHANA virtual machine backups using Veeam, which utilize pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts. The backup type is "VMWare Backup". We have encountered an issue where the post-thaw script successfully deletes the database snapshot from the SYSTEM database but fails to do so from the tenant database. Consequently, the snapshot backup IDs do not match between the tenant and system databases. The Veeam Backup and Replication Console and the backup logs doesn't show any errors.

We kindly request that the post-thaw script be modified to delete the snapshot from both the SYSTEM and tenant databases.

To provide further context, I have attached the scripts we are currently using.

pre-freeze script:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fsTR1F ... sp=sharing

post-thaw script:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yzyf8x ... sp=sharing

Best regards,
Ferenc Cseh
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SAPHANA database snapshot delete issue

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ferenc,

I appreciate your willingness to share the scripts with us! I'll try to find someone who can make the required changes on VeeamHub.

Anyway, these scripts have not been through the official Veeam QA process and we are not responsible for such code and how it works. I cannot guarantee that it will be done in short-term.

Thanks!
debanjan
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Debanjan Banerjee

Re: SAPHANA database snapshot delete issue

Post by debanjan »

Check the following:-
1. how many tenants are present overall. (snapshot may not work for multi-tenant environment)
2. check the if there is any process running from previous post-thaw script. if yes, go to sql framework of HANA and execute:-
backup data for full system close snapshot;

Seems previous snapshot is open for some reason, and new incoming snapshots commands therefore fails.

The scripts very well closes the snapshots in other similar environment and therefore no immediate modification is needed in my opinion.

Regards,
Debanjan