Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sbbots
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Matt B

Schedule Active Full

Post by sbbots »

Quick question about scheduling...

I want to do incrementals Mon, Tue, Wed and Thu, then schedule an Active Full Backup on Friday. When setting up the job under Storage --> Advanced, I set the full backup to run on Fridays:

Now, when I get to the schedule page do I also need to select Friday as well? Or will the job know to run the Active Full on that day already?

My logic is that if I select Friday in the schedule the job will run another incremental, followed by the active full backup. I guess I can just let it run through this Saturday and see what it does, but just thought I would ask. Thanks! :mrgreen:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Schedule Active Full

Post by foggy »

Matt, having active full set to be performed on particular day, the job will trigger it regardless of the schedule. Incremental backup will be performed only if the job is started again manually during the same day.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Foggy, you beat me, while I was searching the existing thread with the same question :) Here it is anyway > Question regarding synthetic fulls and scheduling
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots »

Thank you. I am moving away from Synthetic Fulls, so this is helpful. I will just leave the job scheduled as in my pictures.

Vitaliy S. wrote:...while I was searching the existing thread with the same question :)
But that search button is so small! :P
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

....but yet very powerful ;)
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

emmm....Vitaliy and foggy - please check again his pictures. Are you 100% sure the full job will run on friday even if this particular day is not explicitly selected in the schedule?

OP says he will leave it as configured, so as shown in his pictures.

Me personally, i think, the "Friday" checkbox *has* to be selected. But i may be wrong....just want you to double check this.

Best regards,
Joerg
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yep, as it is mentioned in the topic Vitaliy is referring to above, full backup does not rely on the job schedule:
Gostev wrote:Actually, as of 6.1 any type of full backup (whether synthetic or active) will run on the day it is scheduled to run, whether or not the job itself is scheduled to run on this day via the "main" job scheduler. Without this, there were way too many support cases with endless incremental chains because of contradicting schedules.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

OK, thanks foggy.
sbbots
Enthusiast

Post by sbbots » 1 person likes this post

My active full backup ran last night without being scheduled. So as Foggy said; The answer is no, you do not need to have that day scheduled for the active full (or synthetic incremental) to run.

Thank you everyone.
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Post by jcavalear »

I realize this is an old post but I can't find anything more relevant to the question I have.

I have file servers that I backup up on an hourly basis during business hours and once at midnight. What I am trying to do to keep my backup chain at a manageable length is to perform an Active Full backup each Sunday morning at 12am, when most of my sites are idle or very slow. My question is do I have to permit backup for the whole window a full job will take (3 1/2 to 4 hours) or can I just have 12am-1am permitted? I'm wondering if my job will stop running at 1am or if simply starting it will allow it to run until completion regardless of the permitted window?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If the job exceeds the allowed window, it will be terminated, so you need to adjust the window to let it finish.
jcavalear
Influencer

Post by jcavalear »

Alexander, thanks for the quick reply. While waiting for an answer I ran a test last night on one of my servers and got different results than your answer.

While editing my job I went to the "Advanced Settings" of Storage and checked "Create active full backups periodically" and scheduled it "Weekly on selected days". I then chose Tuesday as one of my days.

On my scheduling tab I have the job set to run for certain time periods. Daily it runs hourly from 7am - 6pm. Last night I allowed the job to run on Tuesday from 12am-1am in addition to the normal 7am - 6pm.

Last night I created an Active Full that ran from 12:15am (my preferred offset of 15 minutes for this job) until 3:23am, a duration of 3:08:33. The job completed successfully and then at 7am proceeded to perform my next incremental backup.

It appears I don't need to allow the full 3:08:33 duration time frame for the job to complete? (I'm unable to include a screenshot of my Time Periods or I would)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Last night I created an Active Full that ran from 12:15am (my preferred offset of 15 minutes for this job) until 3:23am, a duration of 3:08:33.
Have you triggered it manually? The backup window setting applies to the automatic scheduling only.
jcavalear
Influencer

Post by jcavalear »

This was not triggered manually. I set it to do a periodic active full on Tuesday and set my first allowable time on Tuesday from 12am - 1am on Tuesday, timing was denied from 1am - 6am.

My job kicked off automatically at 12:15 am and completed at 3:23am. It did NOT terminate at 1am.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I've just checked in myself and the job making active full stopped due to backup window setting in the middle of hard disk processing. I recommend you contacting support to verify the behavior.